berginaperzina

Dishonest RV dealer

We are just posting this hoping that it might help someone else purchasing a new motorhome from falling into the same problem. In Feb we purchased a new 36' National RV Tropical for Giant RV in Colton CA. They were all friendly and helpfull while we were looking and deciding but they seemed very much in a hurry for us to make the deal. Finally we did but with the agreement that they would take the RV and fill it with diesel before we picked it up and we would pay for the fuel. On the day we picked it up they had filled it and we left, about a week later we went on a 3 day trip during which we needed to re-fuel so we went to a truck stop and proceeded to start pumping. Right away about half of the diesel going in started backsplashing onto my husbands hand and the ground, we would up taking about 25 minutes to fill very very slowly.

Upon our return we took the RV back to the dealer and told him of the problem and that it had been delivered to us in that condition, oh, he said we don't stand behind that it is not a coach problem use your extended warranty and go to this particular repair shop. He also said be sure not to go to LA Freightliner they do not treat the custumers well, we woud up going to LA Freightliner any way as the one that he told us about was only open 8-5 Mon to Fri. (very handy). At LA Freight they told us that the vent pipe was defective, they tried to call the extended warranty plan but they would not cover it, so I began calling everyone from a vice president on down at the dealer and I was told oh, no, we do not stand behind the products of companies that have gone bankrupt, (National RV did).

:rolleyes: I then said that during the sale we were told that if we purchased the warranty it would cover anything that National RV warranty would have. The jist of this is the dealer was dishonest and did not care, we are never going back there and LA Freightliner whom they told us not to go to was wonderfull, they even called Freightliner as that is what our chassis is they explained our problem and how we were being treated by the dealer and Freightliner payed the repair.

Just be careful to get in writing what the dealer will stand behind and what the warranty will stand behind before you take the coach off of the lot.

Granted we should not have fallen in this as we have owned rvs for 20 years but oh well..

I hate it that you were treated so badly, but that's the way buisness is today, you just have to have it in writing. Go on and don't look back, we have all had some blunders along the way, but don't let it get you down, it's not worth it. Maybe somene will see this and change their mind about going there, then you will have some peace of mind. Good luck with your new unit, Summer starts Sunday!!!!!!!!!!

David G.

As we travel around the country, we have had wonderful experiences with some dealers and absolutely lousy experiences with other. Some will take an RV in for repair no matter where you bought it. Others simply will not listen to you if you didn't purchase from them. I'm not talking about warranty work, just getting something done in the shop. There are several dealers on my "go to" list when I am in the market again. Likewise, there are some dealers I wouldn't even call if I had trouble down the block from their shop. The dealer you mention is one that we had zero luck with when we need assistance with a minor problem. We ended up going to Paul Everett RV and got wonderful service. Put them on your list of good guys.

We are just posting this hoping that it might help someone else purchasing a new motorhome from falling into the same problem. In Feb we purchased a new 36' National RV Tropical for Giant RV in Colton CA. They were all friendly and helpfull while we were looking and deciding but they seemed very much in a hurry for us to make the deal. Finally we did but with the agreement that they would take the RV and fill it with diesel before we picked it up and we would pay for the fuel. On the day we picked it up they had filled it and we left, about a week later we went on a 3 day trip during which we needed to re-fuel so we went to a truck stop and proceeded to start pumping. Right away about half of the diesel going in started backsplashing onto my husbands hand and the ground, we would up taking about 25 minutes to fill very very slowly.

Upon our return we took the RV back to the dealer and told him of the problem and that it had been delivered to us in that condition, oh, he said we don't stand behind that it is not a coach problem use your extended warranty and go to this particular repair shop. He also said be sure not to go to LA Freightliner they do not treat the custumers well, we woud up going to LA Freightliner any way as the one that he told us about was only open 8-5 Mon to Fri. (very handy). At LA Freight they told us that the vent pipe was defective, they tried to call the extended warranty plan but they would not cover it, so I began calling everyone from a vice president on down at the dealer and I was told oh, no, we do not stand behind the products of companies that have gone bankrupt, (National RV did).

:rolleyes: I then said that during the sale we were told that if we purchased the warranty it would cover anything that National RV warranty would have. The jist of this is the dealer was dishonest and did not care, we are never going back there and LA Freightliner whom they told us not to go to was wonderfull, they even called Freightliner as that is what our chassis is they explained our problem and how we were being treated by the dealer and Freightliner payed the repair.

Just be careful to get in writing what the dealer will stand behind and what the warranty will stand behind before you take the coach off of the lot.

Granted we should not have fallen in this as we have owned rvs for 20 years but oh well..

Thanks to those of you who offered encouragement, especially the recommendation for some good dealers/shops. Yeah that is is summer and yes, we will now put this behind us and at the end of July we are going to take a 3 to 4 week trip to the Rogue River in Oregon. Collier State Park can't recommend it enough, right by the river, the fishing is awsome! We have been going there for 20 years, frequently run in to other rvers we have befriended and we always find it very relaxing and very fun. This year our grandson who is almost 4 is coming for the first time with his mom and dad, can't wait!

You are right from now on everything is in writing... :

:rolleyes: I am one whom have had bad luck with dishonest dealers since I have bee RVing. My latest issue was with a roof repair that I trusted the people in teling me that I had a torn roof. I did not got there for that. I went for a slide out problem and the next thing I was out of about $3000.00 and what ever the insurance paid.

There were no pictures pior to the repair but there were pictures in the middle of the job. I coud not get up to see the tears. I also didn't get pictures shoiwing me the quality of the job done. My RV was in storage pior to me getting on the road.maybe a month cause of other work being done on the brakes.

A week ago it rained like **** in Indiana and the place that looked as if it had been patched. The person that I was visiting with climed on the roof with my camera and I could not believe in the poor quality if any of the work performed. I would like to know if this is a insurance matter since they paid or should I get a lawyer? I am on the road for the summer and will not return home until Labor day weekend

I would get plenty of pictures of the poor quality work on the roof ones with dates on them, then I would contact the insurance that paid the bill and send them the pictures. Probably they would want to make the repair center stand behind the job? If not I would think that you could go to small claims court?

Good luck and have a fun summer traveling because no matter what there is nothing like traveling in an RV.

I would get plenty of pictures of the poor quality work on the roof ones with dates on them, then I would contact the insurance that paid the bill and send them the pictures. Probably they would want to make the repair center stand behind the job? If not I would think that you could go to small claims court?

Good luck and have a fun summer traveling because no matter what there is nothing like traveling in an RV.