Sign in to follow this  
jking2000

No Charge On 30 Amp Shore Power

I just replaced all four 6V batteries because the originals died (my bad). Now, I tested all the 12v systems and only the awning would not work. I looked and the Inverter/charger was not on charge. Now I do have a 50Amp Motorhome plugged into a 30Amp thru an Adapter. The Voltage of the batteries show 12.8V in the Inverter controller. But I noticed once I start the generator the Charger goes into Bulk Charging mode and after a few minutes the awning comes out.

My question, is the charger not suppose to work on Shore Power also, or is it because I am connected to a 30Amp Power Source. This would explain why leaving the Inverter on by accident would drain the batteries, even though I am connected to Electric.

James King

James,

Yes, if properly wired, your inverter/charger should work just fine on 30 amps.

If you have a digital voltmeter AND ARE SAFE WORKING AROUND 120 VAC, check the following on the 50 amp female side of your 30 amp male to 50 amp female adapter:

Either outer straight (hot) to center straight (neutral)= 120 VAC

Either outer straight (hot) to center round (ground)= 120 VAC

Center straight (neutral) to center round= 0 VAC

If reading are different, UNPLUG and let us know what your readings are.

You could have a problem in the adapter, or with shore power, or in the coach-- but, let's start by verifying that your 50 amp female end of the adapter is supplying the proper power to your 50 amp shore power cord.

Brett,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not real comfortable working with 120VAC. But reading your Instructions led me to one simple solution. I have a brand new adapter as a spare, so changed it out POW it is charging!

So guess I need to replace the spare with a new spare.

Thank You