Sign in to follow this  
planocat

Dometic Electric Door Awning Motor?

We're in the homestretch of the PDI on a new to me 38' 2004 Dutch Star - Spartan Chassis w/ 370 Cummins.

Last item that hasn't been corrected is the A&E / Dometic electric front door awning. It extends automatically but has to be retracted manually. If it is the motor, I about fell over when they quoted $561 for just that little motor!!! Wow, I can't ask the seller to eat that one as it is a crazy price for a unit that, by everything I can tell, will only break again in the near future.

So, here is a thought that may or may not be valid. When I called Newmar, they said to be sure and reverse the wires before ordering a motor to see if, with the wires reversed, the unit will retract and not extend. IF that is the case, could I install some type of switch that does the same thing ?

Brett, ****, Herman, or anyone who has encountered this problem, I need your thoughts here. With the failure rate in these units, I'm looking for a cheap fix or will just do it manually.

Help!!

Cat, I have a powered awning. Look at your manual there are instructions on how to recalibrate the unit. The control box is in my front cabinet above the passenger seat.

Check that out and Call A & E.

Herman

Its probably not the motor because if it runs one direction it will run the other. It's a perm magnet dc motor and reversing the polarity will make it run the opposite direction. It might be a control relay.

Thats ridiculous! I would simply take the motor to a armature/electric motor shop to be rewound, rebuilt or replaced wholesale like we do for HVAC/R.

I am a 34 yr HVAC/R technician and I can tell you , no 12v motor that opens an awning needs to be $500!