I will probably be giving more information then I have to, but: I have a 2007, 38 ft Diesel M. H.

This will be the first year I will not be driving it south for the winter months. I have it parked behind my house on a 30 amp breaker. To prepare for storage in this Michigan winters should I:

Keep it plug in?

Run the heater block?

Remove the batteries?

Put the leveling jack down?

I can have someone stop by and start it up once a month.

Does anyone know of an article on this?

Answers in SOLID LETTER CAPS

I will probably be giving more information then I have to, but: I have a 2007, 38 ft Diesel M. H.

This will be the first year I will not be driving it south for the winter months. I have it parked behind my house on a 30 amp breaker. To prepare for storage in this Michigan winters should I:

Keep it plug in? OK IF YOU HAVE A SMART CHARGER PROGRAMMED PROPERLY AND WATER LEVEL IS CHECKED OCCASIONALLY

Run the heater block? NO

Remove the batteries? THE OTHER OPTION

Put the leveling jack down? SOME DO, SOME DON'T-- I ALWAYS DEPLOY MY HWH JACKS WHEN STORING

I can have someone stop by and start it up once a month. ONLY, REPEAT ONLY START THE ENGINE IF THEY CAN DRIVE A MINIMUM OF 30 HIGHWAY MILES. YOU NEED TO DRIVE LONG ENOUGH TO GET THE OIL, NOT JUST COOLANT UP TO TEMPERATURE OR YOU WILL CAUSE CONDENSATION IN THE ENGINE. YOU CAN'T GET OIL UP TO OPERATING TEMPERATURE EXCEPT WITH HIGHWAY MILES.

ALSO, STORE WITH FULL FUEL TANK AND I WOULD ADD A BIOCIDE. ALSO, IF YOU FILL UP IN THE SUMMER OR FALL (I.E. #2 DIESEL), ADD AN ANTI-GEL.

Tony, Be nice to your coach, send it south.

There are a lot of folks up your way and you will get a lot of help. As Brett said Full tank and additives. Brett also always says that if you start your coach you need to run it until it reaches operating temperature and hold it there for several minutes.

Herman

Good info from BW and HM.

The coach and chassis manuals will (should) address some (if not all) issues you need to consider. They will address winter storage, but may not address the extremes you might have, depending on if you live just north of a Bukeye or just south of that really big pond. :) Another thing to consider is the winter weather stress on the exterior. Indoor would be best. I'm not a fan of covers, but thinking about leaving one for several months over winter outside makes me think more considerate of their protection. Would at least check the roof and wall sealants, seams, etc.

BH

Hi Anthony,

My wife and I don't head down south until Feb. I can tell you that if the coach is outside and your temps are down in the -20 area you might want to take it out for a run every three weeks. The fact that you have power is great, as long as your battery levels are kept up your system should keep them nice and healthy. Make sure that your RV is winterized properly, eg. water filters removed, hot water tank by-pass on and tank flushed and drained,all lines blown free of water and anti-freeze put in and running through every water tap. If you have a washing machine don't forget it.

Don't forget to have your engine anti-freeze checked. In the winter time here in Winnipeg, I have found that it takes about 60 miles to get the engine oil temp as well as the tranny temps up to operating temperatures. If it really gets cold and you are due to take it out, turn on the block heater the day before. Where I am I have gone to synthetic oil to help with the cold starts, not sure if you need that where you are. I also run a diesel conditioner in my fuel tank. I also pour and leave about 12 oz. of antifreeze in the toilet. Oh and don't forget to run your generator for a couple of hours under load once a month.

Hope this helps a little smokeater75.

Lots of good advice here. Where I park my MH in the winter has VERY reliable power. Therefore, I place small lamps with 60w bulbs in places that normally would require A/F...next to water pump, W/D, Aqua Hot, in back of refrig, etc. I always put the pink stuff in the toilet bowl and in the P traps. If there is any question of the power staying on, I run the pink stuff through the lines, not worth taking a chance on having a line freeze.