Sign in to follow this  
EdSouth

2001 Aerbus 3550 Ford V10 Want To Change Spark Plugs

I am a motorhead and have built several motors etc. But I am not sure where to start on this Triton V10 motor. Is it something that has to be done by the shop, or is it possible for me to take this on? F.Y.I. it has the Banks system installed.

She has 61,000 miles and i am driving to Belfast Maine on the 29th of this month

Any recommendation would be appreciated!

Thanks for your reply!

Eddy

I think you engine is one that may be subject to the spark plug hole threads stripping out. Suggest to do some research to see if so and what precautions to use.

Yes, check with your Ford dealer fora copy of the step by step recommendations for changing the plugs in your engine.

And, if one is stripped, there is a kit to install a permanent insert.

Eddy,

Welcome to the Forum.

vsheetz is correct, there are some of those V10s that had very short threads and the plugs had a problem. Some even blew out while driving down the road. I am not saying your is one of those but I would check your engine out before attempting to change the plugs.

Good Luck, and I hope yours are the good heads.

Herman

PS Brett too.

I have a 2001 V-10 and have changed mine twice. Just blow out the plug hole before taking the plug out. I put anti-sieze on the new plug before installing. There is now an updated plug for them. They are tightened down in inch pounds . So make sure you look up the torque and get it right.