nlbigbend

Getting Prescriptions From Out Of State Doctor

I hope this topic fits in this area. Please pardon if it is not appropriate.

I'm looking for basic legal information if anyone has it --- comments are always welcome, but my purpose in this post is to find actual legal documentation.

I have back problems that are treated with several drugs including oxycodone (Percocet). My doctor has told me he no longer will mail a prescription (not the drugs - just the prescription) to me if I am traveling out of state because this is restricted.

I understand the need to reduce illegal narcotics and I understand the multi-state issues of doctors licenses - but I would like to know the specifics of the actual laws involved that prohibit mailing prescriptions across state lines.

Thanks

Larry

Never look to an open public forum for legal advice. Please contact your favorite legal adviser, explain your situation and proceed from there with confidence.

Most RVers get their prescriptions setup at somewhere like Wal-Mart, Wal-Green or CVS, etc. This way, as you travel from State to State your prescription is on file and you simply have it filled at your current location. Nothing gets mailed, you just fill it where you are when you need it.

This is not legal advice, but I do know that there are certain narcotics which federal law will not allow for prescriptions to have refills and new prescriptions may not be mailed, but must be picked up in the doctors office. I suspect that oxycodone (Percocet) is one of them. I do know that I have had no problems getting new prescriptions for my blood pressure and cholesterol medicines when I am away from my doctor's location in another state.

I am currently traveling and before I left my home state to go on this trip, my Oncologist gave me several prescriptions for my pain meds. He wrote on the bottom of each prescription "Do not filled before June 10, 2012" then the next one he wrote "Do not filled before July 10, 2012" and so on. I have had no problems when I took it to the pharmacy over 1000 miles from home. Don't know if that helps but it was the solution my pharmacy suggested and it has helped.

For what it's worth. My doctor transmitts perscriptions electronically or by fax to my local Walgreens. I belive that any Walgreens then can dispense them. Give them, your doctor and CVS a call and see if they will do it for you.

Keith

Although my husband only takes heart meds, we were told the same by our Doctor. He could not prescribe refills out of state. Although he could prescribe the refills to our home Walmart & we could pick them up from Walmarts throughout the USA. We have had no problem doing this.

If your physician is not licensed in state X, prescriptions from him cannot be filled in state X. No physician is licensed in every state. If the Rx is for a non controlled med, a pharmacy may bend the rules. If the RX is for a controlled substance (narcotic, etc) the pharmacy is not going to fill it.

nlbigbend,

Just my thoughts. If you are on oxycodone for back pain and have to have it fill over and over, should you even be driving? I hope your D/W is driving for you.

Please be safe and I hope your back gets better.

Herman