Sign in to follow this  
gorm50

Status of GLASS 2013?

Am disappointed with closing announcement by Knights of the Highway sponsor for 2012 GLASS rally in Berrien Springs that there would be NO 2013 GLASS due to conflicts with FMCA.

Understand the politics but don't care. Hierarchy of BOTH groups should resolve for the good of FMCA and this popular regional rally.

GLASS has ALWAYS been a Memorial Day weekend event. You just can't change the DATE!

Is anyone taking ownership? Is anything happening, changing? How are prior and regular attendees to learn of changes and when?

Thank you.

Gorm

Gorm50,

Welcome.

Where is the conflict?

Memorial Day in 2013 is May 27th.

FMCA International Rally is March 20-21-22-23, 2013 in Tucson, AZ.

FMCA Family Reunion & Motor Home Showcase is on June 19-20-21-22, 2013 in Gillette, WY.

I'm sorry but I can't find a conflict in dates.

Am I missing something?

Herman

Yes, you are missing that an area cannot hold a rally within 30 days prior to a FMCA Family Renunion per the Policy and Procedures. An exception was requested and denied by the Executive Board. Primary reason is that the Family Renunion is the 50th anniversary. An announcment should be made in about 60 days. Due to many reasons the Michigan Knights of the Highway have declined to host any rally in May 2013.

That's a tough (and IMHO, outdated) policy. I wonder how many people would be distracted from going to Gillette, WY who wished to attend a rally in Berrien Springs, MI? A few might have wanted to do both and there was plenty of time for that. However, I suspect that 75% of the GLASS rally participants come from any area less than 400 miles and would likely not travel the extra 700 miles to make Gillette.

It appears to be a non-issue at this point so I am likely beating a dead horse, but maybe future decisions should be made based upon distance from the event. If the Rally is in OR I don't see why a rally in VT should be prohibited.

Gorm50,

As has been said, I was missing something. This may be an issue that all the chapters in the Great Lakes Area inform their National Directors to bring the subject up in Indianapolis.

Sorry that there won't be a rally on Memorial Day.

Herman

In response to the individual who stated the policy & procedures of holding an area rally - the individual also forgot to state that at Great Lakes Area Motorcoach Association annual meeting at Berrien Springs on Sunday May 27, 2012, the members of the board voted to remove the Michigan Knights of the Highway as the host chapter. The board president (Area VP) stated that a paper vote would be taken. A letter was sent to the Michigan Knights President a few days later asking the Knights if they intend to host the 2013 GLAMA (not Glass Rally) in 2013 on a date, time and location determined by GLAMA/FMCA. The Knights Executive Board voted to bring this issue up to their membership at their business meeting at their rally in June and the Board and the membership voted NOT to host an area rally with FMCA choosing the date, time or place. GLASS, which is the AREA Rally, was always held over Memorial Day weekend - this was our 35th year of hosting this rally. Also FMCA Executive Board stated that the other Area Vice Presidents wanted to possibly hold their area rally over that weekend - that it shouldn't have been an exclusive date for the Knights and GLASS.

We all will miss the Glass Rally but without support from FMCA, it will be hard for the Knights to host the Glass Rally - and now since we can't hold it over Memorial Day weekend - it's time to move forward.

It is official..the Great Lakes Area Rally will be held (official rally

dates) on May 15th through 18th, 2013, at the Fulton County Fair Grounds,

Wauseon, Ohio ( northwest Ohio ). Your GLAMA Executive Board met during the

Indianapolis national convention and voted to approve the location and date

for the 2013 Great Lakes Area Rally. The fair grounds are located at exit

34 on the Ohio Turnpike. This is the intersection of State Route 108. The

exit is labeled Wauseon. This location is close to the geographical center

of our Great Lakes Area.

THIS IS YOUR AREA RALLY. It will be planned and executed by ALL of our

chapters. It is YOUR opportunity to have an event for your chapter at a

central location and meet and fellowship with other chapters in YOUR area.

We have made arrangements for you to come in early as a chapter IF you are

interested in having a chapter rally WITHIN the area rally. Some of our

chapters will be interested in this and some will be happy to come in to

participate during the official rally days. We will do everything we can to

provide our "first" rally at a cost that is affordable for all with electric

hookups for all that want them. If you do not want or need electric we have

plenty of space to dry camp with or without generators. All electric spaces

will have full 30 amp power with no restrictions on the use of air

conditioners or heaters. The spaces will be spacious enough to allow car

parking right at your coach site. This is what you have told me you want

and this is what you will get.

Good news! Glad to hear you got things worked out. Since the GLASS rally has been in one location "forever" the injection of a new location has to be a good thing! Keep posting here as updates become available.

A contract could not be completed for the site in northwestern Ohio. The new site will be Elkhart County Fairgrounds in Goshen, Indiana. The first day of the rally will be Wednesday, September 18th and departure will be Sunday, Sep. 22nd, 2013. There will be full 30 amp power available and some 50 amp full hook up sites.

There have been several site visits and more are planned during October to workout the details. In the spring, there will be a meeting at the fairgrounds for Great Lakes Area Chapter representatives to finalize plans for this rally. This a great facility and the staff really knows the business of providing resources for our motor homing lifestyle.

Forgive my selfishness but is there any area rally replacing GLASS for the Memorial Day weekend?

I don't care if it is Good Sam, etc but I am looking to "find" an engagement for that weekend.

Thanks,

Gorm