Sign in to follow this  
nalcon

Texas Class B Non-commercial License

My Class A MH is under the weight limit for a Class B license. I plan on buying one in the future that will require the B license. I wonder if I were to schedule a written and driving test and use my present MH if anyone at the DMV would check or even care that my vehicle was not in the correct class. It looks just like all the other motorhomes on the road.

Has anyone attempted this? I suppose the worst that could happen would be I get turned away.

Nalcom,

Welcome to the Forum.

When I took my written test in Texas, I took the test one day and had to schedule a date for the driving test. On my test I had to test the Air Brakes, drive a designated course, back up for 100 feet and parallel park the coach (40 footer).

If you are in Texas P/M me and maybe I can be of some help.

Herman

I took my Texas Class B license test in April and the examiner checked the weight class on the registration, but I don't know if this was just to make sure I was applying for the right kind of license or not. Your best bet is to call and find out. Do you know where you are going to get your license? I got mine in Livingston (about 70 miles north of Houston), which is where the headquarters of the Escapee's club is located. The examiners there are very familiar with people getting Class A or Class B non-commercial licenses for their RVs and were very friendly and accommodating. I've heard from posters in other forums that this is often not the case in other DMV locations in Texas. Good Luck!

Richard, Susan and Mr. Meowto our bipolar Siamese

Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH, Ford Transit toad

I was thinking along your lines and passed the written test.

You must then schedule an appointment within 90 days to take the driving test. Unfortunately, I got my new motorhome with a week before written test expiration and could not find an appointment anywhere in North Texas that fell within the 90 day period. So, I have to pay the fee again, take the written test again, and schedule a road test with the DP.

While calling all around to try and find a road test appointment, every time I asked if I could take the test with a gas coach, I was told no. But your area may be different.

Say Cat, If I remember correctly it doesn't say what type of engine you have, diesel, gas ar electric. What is a requirement is the weight. You need a "Class B" if the motorized RV you drive exceeds 26,000 pounds. But look at it this way -- when you retake the written test you will ace it. I believe I have said this before, but for your area, Sherman is a good place to go to test. They are good folks and they like Motor Homes.

Herman

Herman:

Ah, Sherman.......And when I called up there, which was the first call I made, they didn't have an appointment for a month!! Many of the smaller offices don't do the exam and others tell you to come and stand in line with the 250 high schoolers and they might get to you on a first come - first serve basis...... if the examiner feels like doing motorhomes on that day. I tried everywhere in North Texas from Sherman to Waxahachie to Quitman to Abilene as I really didn't want to go through the process again or continue to drive in a gray area of the law. Nothing to be had before my 90 day expiration date.

Plano was about as good as any, because at least they will set an appointment. Just another in the long list of things I have to get to!

If your going to be in the Alpine area, that is a great location for the test. Young lady is very helpful and familiar with motorhomes. I took my written test is the morning and driving test in the afternoon. Did this in March, 2012. They do a lot of the overflow testing from some of the larger offices in the area.

I happened to be scheduled to visit Big Bend and Alpine is on the way. In addition to Big Bend the McDonald Observatory is close to Alpine. Really nice place to visit.

We make a motorcycling trip to Alpine/Big Bend as often as we can. Next one scheduled for early March. Hoping to have the license in place by then, but if not, that might work as we trailer the bikes behind the motorhome. Thanks for the tip!