Chuckles

RV.org JD Gallant RV Consumer Group

I just paid this outfit $139 for software that supposedly is the "bible" for evaluating used and newer RVs. I downloaded what they said was a package for MACs. It does not work, and calls and e-mails so far have not been answered. Two Questions: 1. Have others had this problem and what was the resolution? 2. Is this outfit reliable and any good? Or did I waste my money?

Thanks.

Chuckles,

Welcome to the Forum. If you ordered this online and paid for it with a Credit Card and you haven't paid for it yet, put it in dispute with your CC company. They will with hold payment to the "bible" until it is satisfied.

Herman

chuckles,

I have evaluated the data provided by this outfit and have used it to analyze, among other research variables, various RVs before I made my first purchase of an RV in 2008. I do not believe that they are not reputable. It is surprising that your attempts to contact them, so far, have resulted in no response. When I had questions I would send an email and always received a response. May I suggest you send them a registered letter, with a return receipt, explaining the unique circumstances you have encountered and see what happens. If that method is not successful, then I would pursue the BBB for that area in Washington State and pursue the credit card dispute route.

Best of luck.

Some people have been very happy with the info they got and others have been disappointed. They mostly sit and look at the spec sheets for a MH and then give it a rating. They do not drive any of them to verify their statements. Handling is based on the ratio of wheelbase to overall length.

My personal feeling is it wasted money. You can find out info on here and on RV.net

bsinmich is correct.

Their data is based on the numbers. While that IS a reasonable starting place, they would rank ANY 34' DP as unacceptable based on WB/OL alone. Sadly, that means even coaches with sophisticated suspensions (example 34' Foretravel with 8 outboard air bags and 8 Koni shocks) rank no better than the least expensive leaf spring or 4 air bag suspension. THAT is the flaw IMO. Again, good starting point, but that's all.

These people have refused to call and correct the software problems, only contact via email. Clearly a bogus operation when you look at the repetitive data for every coach and manufacture. Almost impossible to use, and I trust Capital One will honor the dispute as this outfit, claiming to have "thousands of satisfied customers" and yet still claiming to be non-profit (does the IRS know that?!) seem to ignore or stonewall requests to fix or return. Caveat empor!

I bought the "bible" from the RVCG group 3 years ago when I was looking for a motor home. I had belonged to the group for 6-7 years prior to that. I wrote to them a number of times by email and always had a prompt answer. I consider the information I got from them over the 7 years I belonged to the group the best information available and helped me tremendously when I was looking. I still have my 3 year old disks and have loaned them to two of my friends. The disks worked on both their computers.

I suspect the issue is MAC compatibility. I still use Windows computers because a lot of software does not work on MACs, that I use. That does not excuse the fact they told you it would work. But I have to tell you I am irritated when I see the words "scam" written on this forum. The RVCG is not a scam. To say so is ill considered. RVers, especially members of the FMCA are supposed to be good natured and friendly. This is not the sort of language I expect to see on this forum unless true.

Well I think their information is way outdated and not researched at all, given what they claim in their internet ads. The software never worked right on the iMac, repeated phone calls by me asking for phone support (I am not technical) were only answered with terse emails saying they do not offer phone support, only email support which is not adequate for me (or $139.00). After struggling with the software for awhile, it was removed by them from my computer, and they asked Capital One to rebill me again! Ha...one less credit card perhaps, but I would tell folks who ask about this outfit to not do business with them. When the original owner and author was alive, I guess it was a so-so source, but now the information is either way out of date or just a calculation, and not a personal evaluation. Plus they claim to be a non-profit. Might just clue the IRS about that!

Both the FMCA and IRV2 forums are the best and current info to use in seeking information about a RV purchase, for sure. Don't bother with RV Consumer and waste your money.