Sign in to follow this  
JMGOLDEN

Considering Purchasing a 1991 Monaco Signature

I looked at a 1991 Monaco Signature last week. The owners have taken good care of the unit. What concerns me is they have used it very little over the last several years. The tires were replaced in 1995 and I am not sure if that is an automatic signal to have them replaced. I would like to hear from those of you who have had experience with tires used little but are now almost 8 yrs old. It has 77,000 miles on the L10 engine. Should I be prudent and have the unit inspected by a RV shop before I buy?

NO QUESTION, 17 year old tires are very dangerous and need to be replaced.

Clearly, sitting unused is one of the hardest things on any machine. I would have it checked mechanically. Be sure they test the coolant-- the L10 is a linered engine. If SCA has been neglected you could have major engine damage that would be hard to detect.

I think there might have been a typo there. I think he meant the tires were replaced in 2005. The tires would have had to have been replaced 4 years after the coach was new and then never replaced again.

So, assuming the tires are 7+ years old you just need to inspect the tread, ensure there is no flat spotting from being parked for many years and then absolutely! have the coach professionally inspected bumper to bumper. I assure you that there is stuff wrong that even the owner is not aware of. Be aware that there will always be something wrong somewhere as RV's are just on-going repair projects so a few problems is not a reason not to buy the unit, just a reason to make an informed purchase.

JMGolden,

Brett is correct have the unit checked out by a professional. It would be best if you have a factory shop for the engine that is in the coach.

I think Bill is correct on the tire and may in fact be the third set of tires. Either way while inspecting the tires sidewalls pay attention between the treads. The side walls can look fine and there be severe cracking between the treads. Take into consideration that if you purchase this unit you will need to replace all the tires.

Also where has the coach been stored, under cover, in an enclosure or outside? How is the finish?

If the price is right tires and servicing is not a big deal. However if there are problem with the engine or transmission that can become very, very expensive.

Good Luck and I hope it works out for you.

Herman

You are right, typo error, should state 2005. I am not mechanically inclined and appreciate the info from all. It has been stored outdoors. No visible signs of lamination. what do you mean by SCA and a linered engine. thanks again...

There are two types of coolant approved for diesel engines (Cat, Cummins, etc):

"Low silicate coolant for diesel with added SCA" and the new-generation OAT-based long life coolants. SCA= Supplemental Coolant Additive

SCA is used up/is sacrificial and needs to be replenished or cylinder wall erosion will occur in linered engines. Larger diesels such as the L10 have replaceable liners for the cylinder walls rather than having the cylinders bored into the block (called parent blocks). The SCA's protect the outside of the cylinder liner from being pitted in the coolant jackets around the cylinder. These coolants need to be changed every three years AND have the SCA level checked and brought back up each oil change. There are little test strips that determine: SCA concentration, freeze point and pH. Any shop that works on diesels will have them.

The new-generation coolants (Caterpillar has one, Cummins has one, others have them) have a 6 year life with no maintenance in normal use in an RV (under 300,000 miles in the 6 years). If over 300,000 miles they need a one-time booster added. Many of us have switched to the new, better coolants. I have a Caterpillar engine, so I choose Caterpillar ELC. If I had a Cummins, I would choose a Fleetguard equivalent.

And, I know you did not ask for advice on this, but if you are not pretty mechanical, I would probably not consider one of that age/condition.

Brett

Herman,

If regular low silicate coolant for diesels with added SCA and over 3 years old, you might just have it changed. Coolant is cheap compared with radiator or engine overheating or corrosion issues.

If one of the new generation OAT-based coolants and over 6 years old, same thing.

Brett

I would rather have the "cold-brutal-truth" than not know. Thanks....I can now see the value of having any used motor home inspected by a qualified mechanic or repair center before purchase. It reminds me of the line in the old white owl cigar commercial....pay me now or pay me later.....