Sign in to follow this  
OBS66

Fuel Gauge Stuck Past Full

2004 Monaco Diplomat.

The fuel gauge is stuck past the full mark although it looks good to always see a full tank its a little uneasy not knowing just how much fuel is in the tank.

We have been keeping track of the miles but honestly I would rather just get it repaired.

Problem I am having is here in The Butler Pa area is finding a shop that is willing to repair. Has anyone experienced this fuel gauge issue.

From Monaco, get the ohm readings empty to full for the fuel sender unit.

You can buy those value resistors at a Radio Shack for a buck or two. Plug them in at the tank end after removing the wire from the sender unit.

That will tell you very quickly if you have a wiring/gauge problem or a sender unit problem.

I don't know if you have the Aladdin system, we have it in our 2004. Using the trip computer in the Aladdin, I can tell exactly how much fuel we have left. With the exception of fuel used by the generator, the Aladdin system will be within a gallon of what I can put in the tank. It is much more accurate than the analog fuel gauge on the dash. I use the Aladdin all the time to let me know exactly how much fuel I have left. I'm sure you will still want the analog gauge repaired but in the meantime if you have Aladdin, it can take care of tracking you mileage since you filled up, the amount of fuel used and fuel left.

When there is no ground to the fuel sender they often read full all the time.

Look for an open or loose wire running between the fuel tank and the chassis frame.

Rich.