Sign in to follow this  
ramblinboy

W22 Workhorse Chassis Front Wheel Bearings

Do I need to have the front wheel bearings cleaned and packed even if the specs say W22 utilize an oil lubricated front hub

bearing system? Thx

No, wet hubs do not use grease. You just drain/pump out the old oil and refill with gear lube. I use an old transmission hand suction pump to remove the old oil. Check for the viscosity called for for your axle and climate. I use synthetic oil-- a quart will do both sides with some left over. Be sure to be on level pavement when you check the final oil level. Most wet hubs have a ring with arrow and "full" marked. Do not over/under fill.

Ok not to sound to stupid, how do you check the level of the wet hubs? I was messing around with the front wheels, took off the middle plate to the chrome wheel covers and saw the wet hub system, I have never seen one before and have no idea how to check it. Thank you

The clear plastic "hub" should have a concentric ring with arrow and writing showing minimum oil level. Max is sometimes another marked ring or the bottom of the removable rubber plug.

Thank you very much. The reason I wanted to top off the hub was I had a small clicking noise coming from the left side hub wheel area and thought it might be the problem. I was wrong! Is it possible for the front chrome wheel cover to flex and make that clicking noise? I was able to remove the center plug and top off the oil. It took maybe 1oz. to top off. Now the chrome wheel cover is kind of a pain to remove since I don't have a large enough wrench to remove the fake lug nuts. Any tips or secrets on how to remove them?

Wheel covers are notorious for making creaking noises. Usually there is a light duty socket wrench that comes with the wheel covers for taking the sheet metal nuts off. When topping off the gear oil level let it set for a couple of hours and then recheck it. You are adding oil to the outer bearing and it takes time to get to the inner bearing.