robert18324

Resetting "Service Engine Light"

I have a 2002 Newmar KS, Workhorse chassis with the Vortec engine and was wondering how to reset the "Service Engine Light" . I only have about 14,000 miles on it and the light has come on even when it was new and the dealer always reset it. Thanks in advance.

Not something you can do without the proper equipment.

The fact that it has been reset by the dealer more then once and is new could indicate a sensor issue.

Thinking you have a 8.1 L engine. If that is the case, see if the service center will tell you what is causing the check engine light to come on. They should be reading a code number.

Get the code number and post it for us to look at. I have a hunch what the problem might be, just want to get some information. Been wrong following my intuition just enough to want a little more information. Think exhaust system !!!

Rich.

There are two ways to figure this our yourself...

1. Take your motorhome to an AutoZone or Advance Auto parts. They will attach a device and tell you what the code is and reset it for you

2. Invest in a Scangauge, which will provide you all kinds of information concerning the operation of your engine, as well as read the codes and reset the codes.

I have the same engine and my Scangauge will tell me all kinds of great things such as water temperature, transmission temperature, oil life, throttle position, engine load, alternator volts, etc. Well worth the piece of mind when traveling down the road

If it is the light telling you that you need an oil change, the book should tell you how to turn off the light. As I recall, ignition "ON", then pump accelarator pedal three times.

Doesn't need an oil change as I did that about 1000 miles ago and the light came on after the change (about 500 miles or so). Thanks anyway.

There are two ways to figure this our yourself...

1. Take your motorhome to an AutoZone or Advance Auto parts. They will attach a device and tell you what the code is and reset it for you

2. Invest in a Scangauge, which will provide you all kinds of information concerning the operation of your engine, as well as read the codes and reset the codes.

I have the same engine and my Scangauge will tell me all kinds of great things such as water temperature, transmission temperature, oil life, throttle position, engine load, alternator volts, etc. Well worth the piece of mind when traveling down the road

Thanks, is this scangauge something that is mounted permanent and does Auto Zone sell them?

Not something you can do without the proper equipment.

The fact that it has been reset by the dealer more then once and is new could indicate a sensor issue.

Thinking you have a 8.1 L engine. If that is the case, see if the service center will tell you what is causing the check engine light to come on. They should be reading a code number.

Get the code number and post it for us to look at. I have a hunch what the problem might be, just want to get some information. Been wrong following my intuition just enough to want a little more information. Think exhaust system !!!

Rich.

It is a 8.1 engine and are you thinking the sensor that s on the exhaust system?

When you changed the oil (or had it changed) was the light reset? Even if it isn't on at that time, you still need to reset it so it will start back at zero for the oil change time. If you had the oil changed a little early and the light hadn't come on yet, then the tech may have forgot to reset it. Out of sight out of mind. I have had this happen on my car a couple of times since I always have oil change done when odometer turns an even 5000 without waiting for the light. Just a thought.

Yes in regards to the exhaust system. There are multiple o2 sensors and sometimes one of them can have issues. The code number tells you which one it is. One can buy a Scangauge as mentioned and monitor the engine while on the road. They plug into the OBD port and off you go..

Then the fun starts ! well if one likes tinkering.

One needs to find if it is a connection issue, a sensor issue or a ground problem. There is one wire (Purple in most cases) and the ground is provided through the exhaust pipes, manifold and the bolts holding the manifold to the engine block. You would think that with that much steel and bolts a good ground could not be an issue, but as things heat up and cool down everything moves around some and the connection is lost. Engine sets a code and it stays set until the issue is corrected.

The signal from the o2 sensor is one of the primary signals used to set the fuel / air mixture. An even if the signal level gos back to the proper voltage, an the ECM sets to proper mixture. The check engine light stays on.

This is the main reason that garages will just reset this code.

Having the code number in hand is good, because you can check it and see that indeed, it is the same code or if it is a different code that could list a real problem.

Note ! many of the instrument panels have a display screen that tells you to change oil and other information, as well as a check engine light. The systems can detect it you have a lot of stop and go driving or over the road driving and turns on the change oil indicator using that information. Over the road millage will decrease the number of oil changes.

However ! always check the oil before driving because the large engines use some oil.

Rich.

Thanks, is this scangauge something that is mounted permanent and does Auto Zone sell them?

Yes Autozone sells them, so go there, get your codes read by them and then buy the Scangauge