gaylejp

Yellowstone Internal Roads And Approaches

Question

My wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons for this summer. I freak out in our car on roads with cliff hangers and I'm concerned about driving our MH on the roads approaching West Yellowstone from I90 from the north along the west side of the park and through the south loop to Grand Teton.

Are there many locations where the roads are on the sides of the mountains with steep drop offs adjacent to the road?

From reading I know to avoid Mount Washburn and Dunraven pass even in our toad.

Thanks for your suggestions.

5 answers to this question

Pete,

Welcome to the Forum.

You should have no problem on the roads in Yellowstone. Now there are some places you can walk to that are fairly high up but you wont find any problems while on the road. When you leave Yellowstone and go into the Tetons the roads are very good and no drop offs. Go enjoy.

Herman

There are no roads or passes that will cause any issue from any entrance to the interior of Yellowstone. If you are just trying to get in and get to your campground you will have no issues. If you want to tour the park in your RV you will just have to pay attention to the fact that not all SIDE roads are meant for an RV.

Hi Pete,

The only area that might give you pause is on Rt. 89. The North entrance from Gardiner.

The drive to Mammoth Hot Springs from the park loop is OK, but going North from there to the North Entrance has some switchbacks with a good grade and the road is cantilevered out from a cliff for a very short distance.

I have driven it North out of the park and you are on the cliff side edge. The DW is not much for very big drop offs, but we made it. One could drive to it and there is a small pull off going north. One could pull into and look at the road winding around the edge of a cliff.

Stop there and say not for us and go back the way you came, if you wish.The view is one to see, but not everyone wants to drive the road. Must say the road is in good condition, its just mustering up the will to drive it.

Hope you enjoy the park as much as we have over the years. One of those locations that we have on our, been there but just have to stop every time we are close list.

Rich.

Thanks for the information. Just the words "cantilevered out from a cliff and stop to look at the road winding around the cliff" are enough for me about Rte 89.

I will carefully avoid that road.

Such things ruined a 12-day vacation in Colorado for me and I was driving an SUV, not a 40' motorhome. I still occasionally have nightmares.