Sign in to follow this  
Larry196

ALT. CHARGE Light

2006 Holiday Rambler, 40 foot Diesel.

I started the engine yesterday and I had a red light on the dash that said "ALT. CHARGE".

I don't like red lights.

Started fine and ran like normal, what should I be worried about?

I did notice the charge gauge seemed to stay around 14.

We have been sitting for two months.

The Red light means the alternator output is Low or missing, You mentioned the voltage reads 14 volts so over voltage should not be an issue.

Even when you read good voltage, the alternator output can or could be missing. no exciter voltage (No power to alternator on start up) Loose fan belt or just a connection issue.

Questions, Where you still connected to shore power with the engine running?

Did you have the generator running?

Rich.

Larry,

Sometimes an outside charge source (your charger since you were on shore power) can interfere with the idiot light working properly.

Try unplugging and seeing if the light comes back on.

As an aside, it is a good idea to NOT start the engine unless you can drive a minimum of 25 highway miles. It takes that long to get the OIL up to operating temperature and anything less just adds moisture to the crankcase.

Brett

Larry,

Sometimes an outside charge source (your charger since you were on shore power) can interfere with the idiot light working properly.

Try unplugging and seeing if the light comes back on.

As an aside, it is a good idea to NOT start the engine unless you can drive a minimum of 25 highway miles. It takes that long to get the OIL up to operating temperature and anything less just adds moisture to the crankcase.

Brett

I know the warm up part, but the light scared the H out of me and I shut down.

Thanks Brett for the reminder

Larry