garyejones

Wheel Chocks - Needed And If Yes, Most Preferred

Wheel chocks .

Just have to mention that there have been times when coach owners have disconnected a trailer or tow dolly with out blocking the wheels and things have rolled  away and when this happens in a campground it can be come an expensive error.

Good to have them to test the air brake system is working properly if you suspect something is wrong, better to check an know that things are working then have a problem on the road..

Rich.

15 hours ago, DickandLois said:

Wheel chocks .

Just have to mention that there have been times when coach owners have disconnected a trailer or tow dolly with out blocking the wheels and things have rolled  away and when this happens in a campground it can be come an expensive error.

Good to have them to test the air brake system is working properly if you suspect something is wrong, better to check an know that things are working then have a problem on the road..

Rich.

Absolutely right Rich. That also includes when unhooking the towed. I have been lucky so far and not made this mistake. I watched a toad roll a short way after the owner unhooked the tow bar. It could have been a lot worse. 

Bill  

Well, I guess I must tell on myself.  ONE time unhooking the toad we were on a very slight incline, not much mind you but still an incline. As I unhooked the last leg of the tow bar the car started slowly moving backward. I grabbed it (remember slight incline) and hollered for DW to jump in the car and set the brake.    Whew! Glad it was not much of an incline.   So yes, precautions for the TOAD/trailer also need to be taken into account.

p.s., unhooking the safety cables last could be a big help.

On 5/3/2016 at 10:12 AM, Wayne77590 said:

Well, I guess I must tell on myself.  ONE time unhooking the toad we were on a very slight incline, not much mind you but still an incline. As I unhooked the last leg of the tow bar the car started slowly moving backward. I grabbed it (remember slight incline) and hollered for DW to jump in the car and set the brake.    Whew! Glad it was not much of an incline.   So yes, precautions for the TOAD/trailer also need to be taken into account.

p.s., unhooking the safety cables last could be a big help.

I have been getting in and starting the toad before I un-hook. I have found that if I put just a slight forward pressure on the towbar, then put it in park, when I hit the release on the arms it is now in a no strain condition. It makes disconnecting a lot easier.

Bill

We met a couple a few weeks ago, he unhooked his Jeep in his driveway on a hill and the Jeep started to roll away, he grabbed the bumper and held on like he was skiing down the hill, gave up before it crashed into a tree. His version was hilarious when he told it, as I read this it doesn't sound so funny. :o

The last thing I unhook is the emergency breakaway, if it's gong to roll it won't go far when I yank that out.

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I have been getting in and starting the toad before I un-hook. I have found that if I put just a slight forward pressure on the towbar, then put it in park, when I hit the release on the arms it is now in a no strain condition. It makes disconnecting a lot easier.

Bill

That is what I do now - and since I have had battery problems (no charge line) I want to see if I need to hook up the charger. It will be charged after I unhook. In order to start it has to be in park. I just roll the window down so I can turn the steering wheel if one of the legs is stubborn. A few times I did have to bump it the way you do. 

I have a Blue OX tow bar. It has levers to release the bars. My safety cables are the coiled type. I just wrap the cable around the tow bar and over the levers. Then I get in and put the truck back into 2 wheel drive. I will then put the truck in drive and or reverse depending on which way the slope is. With the pressure of the cables on the levers the bar will release and I am able to put slack in the bars and place the truck in park.  

Herman