Medeiros

Maps For Low Bridge/tunnel Clearance?

I'm using Google Maps to plan our trip to Texas, Arizona, etc. and would like to be able to see roads/tunnels that might be too low for our 12'9" rig. We do use a trucker GPS, but I don't completely trust it because I can't see the full day's route before we start driving. It also doesn't like taking us on roads that are fine for RVs but have truck restrictions. I can't find anything that will give me advanced information about possible low clearance problems. I've searched the internet and the iTunes app store but only found a "Motor Carrier's Road Atlas" on Amazon. I think I bought one of these a couple years ago and couldn't figure out how to read it so I'm unsure about buying this one. I've read about a PC program (I think it's States & Trips or something like that) but I use a Mac so that won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It would seem that there must be something available for RVers.

Just for the same reason I carry a Truckers Road Atlas with all the low bridges listed in the back.

One never knows when that detour is going to pop up. Most of the low bridges are on secondary roads or in the older cities, but I have stared at one or two over the years that just seamed to be out of place.

Rich.

My husband has been reading some reviews of the Rand McNally 7720 but so many of them say that it leads them way out of the irway or onto dirt/dead end roads that we wonder if it is really any good. I know no GPS is foolproof, but is the 7720 worth the money?

We bought the 5510 Rand Mc Nally when they first came out. It has taken us on a back road once and we also plan with our Atlas. For the most part we love it and would buy it again. They are a lot cheaper now and come with lifetime maps. I will be updating ours with new maps before our next trip.