bandnmak

Kayaks On Top Of Class A

Does your coach have a roof rack now? Are you towing a vehicle? If you are towing a vehicle a rack on it would be a better idea. Also it would be a lot easier to load and unload.

Herman

Years ago we had a rack on our toad for a Hobiecat sailboat. I carried the mast on the roof of the motorhome because it was much longer that the boat. We also went to the Florida Keys, out to Key West.

Having a kayak in Key's would be a blast but I can not even guess how you plan to hoist two kayaks 12 feet in the air on to roof of MH. After getting two kayaks on the roof how do you plan to strap them down? I use a Malone kayak trailer and have towed it 8,000+ miles with no problems. Malone trailers are made for hauling kayaks.

If you do strap down on top of MH, please post pictures of process.

Well, we carry two kayaks with us most of the time but they are on the toad. Initially i looked carefully at carrying them on the roof of the RV we had when we started but problems getting them safely up and down dissuaded we from that as well as the issue of securing them to the roof since I did not want to add any hooks or devices because I was concerned about penetrating the roof and causing a leak at some future date!

We are currently in the Keys and enjoying kayaks!

On top of toad is as you know, an excellent haul method. I use the trailer when without a toad. But I have recently purchased an inflatable pontoon craft that when deflated I stow in a bay. Have started spending most of my time fly fishing and floating rivers and this type of craft is better suited for these activities. Still use the kayaks when fishing lakes, marshes and bays.

I'm sure people have found a way to stow kayaks on the roof of MH, however, it would be impossible for me. lol

I would be concerned about the extra height. My MH is 12'9" without any additional items on top. Places like the Oklahoma turnpike only have clearances of 13'8". I'm sure this would increase your concern for low clearances. Have you calculated the total height with kayaks on top?