kurtsimon

Towing 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I replaced my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4WD). The owners manual says I have to put the ignition in run mode and disconnect the battery to tow it, which wasn't required for the 2004. I called Jeep "Customer Assistance" (not), but no help. The dealer doesn't know, but he's trying to find out. Anyone know if I can tow it on all fours without disconnecting the battery? Can I leave the ignition in the off position (it doesn't seem to lock the steering wheel)? If I disconnect the battery, will it reset all the settings (garage door opener, seat position, radio stations, horn beeps, etc.)? Will it register miles with the ignition off but battery connected?

Anyone know how to get technical support from Chrysler?

I have been towing Jeep Wranglers 4 WD for about 10 years, I feel the Wrangler and Cherokee have same procedure. I had the same problem you have when I traded for the recent Jeep with all elecronic equipment,there was an added step, disconnect battery, contacted dealer, he didn't know, referred me to their tech support group, I reached a person who had no idea what I was talking about, kept telling me if broke take back to dealer after about 30 min I found out he was in India. I installed a battery disconnect switch, this keeps from draining the battery if you are towing for more than two hours, I do have to reset everything. I follow the procedure in manual and disconnect the battery.

I tow a 2012 GC Overland. The 2012 and 2013 are basically the same vehicle. The 2013 is a placeholder for the 2014, which was announced in January to be available this spring. The CGs (and late model Wranglers) do not have a steering wheel lock, therefore there is no need to turn a key to allow them to be towed. You only need to disconnect the battery if a key has been turned. There is no "key" on the GC anyway. Towing the GC with the battery connected is no different than letting it sit in a parking lot for several days and not running the engine. The reason for battery disconnect is to keep the electronics in the vehicle from running the battery down when the ignition is "on". I have towed my GC for about 6K miles since I bought it last September, with no issues.

We tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler 4wd. I just put transfer case in neutral, auto trans in park and remove the key...That ' s what manual calls for. I charge the battery for the braking system with power from MH.

May I ask a follow-on Questions about towing the Jeep Grand Cherokee (Overland)?

Just bought it and it is all configured to tow. I ran into the same problem as the original questioner, but my desire is to understand whether in the Keyless Enter-N-Go version, the Key Fob remains in the ignition or is removed. The OM and UG are in direct contradiction to each other. As you have found out, the dealership service department knows nothing and Customer Service was clueless. So this is what I need clarification on from Frank who has towed a Jeep GC for 6K miles. My issue is not about the battery disconnect but about the position of the ignition and whether the "key" remains in the ignition or can be removed.

1. Transfer case in Neutral - no questions

2. Battery disconnect - no questions.

3. Position of transmission selector - no questions

Position of the ignition and location of the key fob when the procedures are done?

FYI: There are new versions of the Owners Manual and User Guide for 2013 on the Jeep Web site for download. 5th version and 4th version respectively. There have been some updated material added. But the instructions for tow preparation remain in conflict.

Cathe

US Navy (Ret)

ALFA See Ya GOLD

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Remove the "Key". The ignition should be off. The key fob stays in my pocket. At least that's what you do on the 2012. The doors don't want to lock unless the keyfob is out of the car. This makes it interesting when DW wants to leave her purse with a fob in it in the car and I try to lock the doors!

OBTW- 7K miles now. Another 260 miles Tomorrow. Have not touched the Jeep in three days, will be 4 days towing when we unhook tomorrow.

Thanks, I will verify that the 2013 GCO doesn't have a steering wheel lock when the "key" is out of the ignition; if that is true for the 2013 then I am good to go! I shouldn't have any battery drain based on the ability to turn the ignition off and remove the key.

I tow a 2012 Jeep GC Overland with a Roadmaster 10k rated tow bar with Air Force One brake system. The keyless entry cover must be removed to use the "key" portion of the fob. On the 2012, you can not remove the fob without putting the ignition in the "off" position. As the previous post, you can not lock the doors without removing the fob. It's really a piece of cake to place the transmission in park and the tranny in neutral. Do all this with the engine off, and the ignition on, but motor not running. Complete and accurate instructions came in the owner's manual in the glove box. No battery use or mileage recorded. Only caveat, the LED indicator to be placed on the rear view mirror is VERY difficult to see in the rear camera of the MH. The TPMS would alert to a problem, but I would like to know when the toad brakes are activated. Considering a way to wire an indicator to the front of the MH for the toad brake lights.