Sign in to follow this  
michaelhillhouse

LP Generator Fuel Usage

While dry camping at the spring nationals dirt track race held at TMS last weekend I used 26 gal. of lp fuel and wasn't using the AC's. We were just watching TV and the furnace so there was a min load on the gen. Is there any thing that I can do to improve the LP amount used per hour as we only ran it for about 24 hours which amounts to a little over 1 gal per hour. I have the same problem with running a full load (Both AC's ect) Any help would be appreciated. :wacko:

Regards,

Michael

Michael,

You don't mention what generator you have, but most have posted consumption rates. And, over a gallon an hour IS excessive, particularly at light loads. Are you sure the tank was filled to the same level at the "before" and "after" fill-up?

But, another thought. It is not energy efficient to run a generator just to power, say a TV and battery charger producing only a few amps. Have you considered running the TV on an inverter and only running the generator to power large items like A/C's and to charge the batteries when they are discharged?

Not knowing how your coach is set up, that may involve a larger battery bank as well as an inverter-- you will have to weight the relative costs.

What gen do you have? I have a 6300 Onan which runs on liquid propane. I average about 1/2 gal/hr. I wonder if you have a leak or that your tank was not full to begin with.

I have the Genrac 5 K Gen and for what ever reason the Inverter doesn't power up unless the Gen is running.

It is a 1.5Kw inverter with 4- 6volt batt on the system. This system and batt are new and never powered the TV or any thing AC powered since I've owned the ( Safari Zanzabar).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the system, the capabilities and what everything does.

I appreciate the replies and any suggestions you have . The tank was filled before I went to the track.

Regards,

Usually the inverter powers low current draw items such as tv, outlets, microwave because it is used for a few minutes. When you are plugged in the 120 volt goes through the inverter and powers the aforementioned circuits. Perhaps the system is not wired correctly.

Michael,

Right now, exactly what 120 VAC items does your inverter power? Have you pushed the reset buttons on the inverter?

I took the coach to Slade Mobil RV Repair in Garland TX and when they tested the voltage output on the Gen they discovered the gen output was 130 volts and running full load.

He adjusted the voltage back to 119 no load and increased to normal under load. I also learned that the inverter switch was not on. I didn't know that you had to manually turn the switch on for it to work, a good lesson for me to learn the hard way.

Thanks to everyone who responded and gave suggestions.

We had a coach with an Onan 7.2 KW LP generator. One day in Kansas near 100 degrees, we used 1 gal per hour runing both air conditioners and the refrigerator. I discussed this high usage with fellow owners of the same unit and got the reply that the usage was normal.

We had a coach with an Onan 7.2 KW LP generator. One day in Kansas near 100 degrees, we used 1 gal per hour runing both air conditioners and the refrigerator. I discussed this high usage with fellow owners of the same unit and got the reply that the usage was normal.

Would agree that a gallon an hour would be reasonable for a full load on a 6.5+ KW propane generator.

But, the OP said he observed that consumption with virtually no load (TV plus minor battery charging amperage) on a 5KW generator.