benny@waskomtexas.com

Loud Popping Noise Under Motorhome

We have a 1997 Dodge Roadtrek 190 with almost 80,000 miles on it. We just returned from a four-week trip to Colorado. After our last trip in May to Flagstaff, Ariz., we found out that our front end needed to be rebuilt.

We were going up Monarch Pass and started hearing a loud popping noise under our motorhome. It sounded like metal "crinkeling" or the end of two peices of metal rubbing end to end. We stopped at the summit and looked underneath and checked all of the lug nuts. I took hold of the front driver's wheel and pushed on it and it popped. It continued till we got to Buena Vista.

The next morning, myself and my brother-in-law, who has taught auto mechanics at a junior college for 35 years, crawled under the front end and could not see anything.

So, we took it to a front-end shop. Of course, it made no noise when the mechanic drove it for about 10 miles and had it checked. They could find nothing.

When we got to Borger, Texas, I got it up on a lift and inspected it along with the mechanic, and all we found was a lot of sheet metal that acts as heat shields for the water tanks that are under the Roadtrek.

We are back home in East Texas and I will take it to the local mechanic who works on our cars to have him find the problem. I think that it is the sheet metal moving. When we have driven for 100 miles or so it gets worse, and if we pass through some rain it quits.

Any ideas on this problem?

"Loud Popping Noises" do not normally come from thin sheet metal heat shields.

Have a good front-end man jack up the rig and check the ball joints.

Also check the shock mounts.

Brett Wolfe

We rebuilt the front end just this trip and we had a front end shop check everything half way thru the trip. Shocks were checked also and shocks usually make a double bumping noise. This noise usually starts after driving 20 or so miles. It nearly stops if we run thru rain which cools down the underside and adds a slight lubrication to the underside.

Brett is right. Get the weight off the wheels and check for wheel bearings, loose lug nuts, tie rods and the idler arm. It wasn't said but why was the front end rebuilt? Did they replace the ball joints (upper and lower), inner shaft bushings or king pins, wheel bearings, did they get the nut tight enough (or too tight) on the spindle? So many part that could be popping. Check your bill for the work on the front end. Then check every part they replaced. I just had another thought. do your get the noise when your accelerate? If so you might have a bad motor mount.

Food for thought hope it helps.