Sign in to follow this  
rllarson

Tire Balancing

I had new Michelin tires put on. They were spun balanced when installed. At 57 MPH they had a lot of shivering. Went back to the dealer and had them rebalanced. They still shiver at 57 MPH or above. Any ideas what the problem could be?

rllarson,

Welcome to the Forum.

Ask your dealer to reposition the tires on the wheels. All tires have heavy spots in them and sometimes everything get to the same location and the wheel/tire are very hard to balance. Do you feel the shimmy in the steering wheel or in your seat. In the steering wheel it is the front tires. If you feel it in the seat it will be the rear tires.

Michelins are very good tires and they will stand behind them. If the dealer cannot balance them then ask for them to be replaced.

Good Luck

Herman

Let's start at the beginning. You don't mention what chassis you have, but to me, balance is the SECOND item to be addressed on tires.

The FIRST is "roundness" or "out-of-roundness". If you have an "egg" shaped tire, it could be perfectly in balance, and it will...... well, it will cause all kinds of vibrations. So, first thing is to check TIRE RUN-OUT. Any reputable tire dealer can check tire run-out with the tire mounted on your coach in less than 5 minutes-- less than 2 minutes if your jacks have the tire off the ground.

Run-out more than .035" should be corrected. Causes of excessive run-out: Axle hub to wheel excessive tolerance (particularly common on a whole run of wheels on Ford F53 chassis, but can occur on others. Wheel that is not perfectly round. Tire that is not perfectly round. If you put the "high point" of the wheel and highpoint of the tire together, you have a very out of round ride. That is one common answer to excessive runout is to rotate the tire on the wheel.

After getting run-out correct, I like to have the front tires balanced ON THE VEHICLE. Ya, very few dealers do it any more, but some still do. You really don't care that the tire and wheel are in balance. You want ALL rotating masses in balance. That includes not just the tire and wheel, but hub and brake drum or disk. That 80 pound brake drum or disk may be out just a couple of ounces, but that may be enough to give you problems if the tire and wheel are balanced off the coach.

I have been using Centramatic balancers for about 12 years with about 3 sets of tires and never had a vibration. I have a computer balancer in my garage but I quit balancing the wheels when I installed the automatic balancers.

I've never really had anyone actually call a tire balance problem "shivering". If that's what you are feeling it's not likely a tire problem at the speed you indicated. I can't speak to the expertise of the tire dealer who mounted your tires, however, if the dealership is an experienced Michelin truck tire dealer the service techs very likely would have checked the runout of the rim/tire combinations and would have indexed the tires if there had been a significant out of round condition prior to balancing - especially after you took the unit back to them with a complaint.

You don't mention the size tires inolved or what kind of chassis you have - front engine or pusher. At the speed you indicated and the term you used to described the feeling you are getting, I have to wonder if the problem isn't actually in the driveshaft and/or the universal joints. If it's a pusher, it could be a ride height issue and/or lubrication issue affecting the universal joints. If it's a front engine, it could be in the driveshaft balance or lack of lubrication in the universal joints or in the slip joint (assuming there is one). These things will produce perceptable but relatively rapid vibrations, at the speeds you indicated, that might well be described as shivering.

Hope this helps.

Richard Goss

F329512

I did not see anyone respond to the Centramatic balancing device. Do they really work and could one of those be reinstalled incorrectly? Do tire beads work? Getting new Michelins very soon so I would like to hear from some of you (xze 275x80r22.5) before I have them installed.

I did not see anyone respond to the Centramatic balancing device. Do they really work and could one of those be reinstalled incorrectly? Do tire beads work? Getting new Michelins very soon so I would like to hear from some of you (xze 275x80r22.5) before I have them installed.

They do work and we have installed several sets and never had bad feedback. They install on the studs before the wheel on the front and between the duals on the rear. They balance the rotating mass including the brake drum. If it is out of balance too far it won't work, you may have to rotate the wheel 180 degrees.

We have never balanced the rear tires, but we have Wheel Masters on the front. These are plates with a ring of fluid that balance the tires. They do help and can be moved from coach to coach when you trade.