Xplorer

Workhorse W20 Error Message

While driving the hills of WV this am, the Allison downshifted from 4th to 3rd and back to 4th.

The following message displayed on the dashboard where PRNDL is usually displayed and lasted for 10 minutes before returning to normal display.

Code displayed: No J1850 Activity

Any idea what this message means and do I need to have it checked?

Thanks for any input.

Allison help line 800 252 5283

Thanks Wolfe.

I had Tiffin's number handy, didn't have the Allison number, but do now. Thanks Tiffin usually has a mechanic available, but he was off today. I'll call Allison tomorrow. Drove another 200 hundred miles the message did not reappear, and no problems, everything remained normal.

Tiffin, thinks it may have been an electronic brain-fart and suggested I call Allison also. I Wasn't sure if it was a Workhorse or Allison issue.

About 6 months ago, the entire dash lights, etc, went crazy flashing, etc. Stopped turned off the motor, restarted, and has not reoccurred. At that time, a Tiffin mechanic thought with the rough roads, may have jiggled a fuse enough to cause the problem. I checked and ensured all the motor fuses, etc, were well seated. Sure enough a couple were seated but not completely pressed in. No more dash problems.

After I talk with Allison about the message, I'll post their response.

Thanks again.

The error you mentioned refers to a loose data connector. Not sure where.

When we stopped for the day, had a chance to do some research.

The J1850 seems to be as elusive as the infamous Leprechaun.

Called Allison, (didn't realize they had 24/7 tech referral folks working)

Allison sincerely interested in helping, said best solution was a local Allison shop. They gave me numbers, and said if they location is not open, they will have a 24 hour emergency road number.

Sure enough called, and had a way to contact their emergency road response. Didn't need it because the code is now normal. Sure is good to know that in the event it is a roadside issue, there may be help available, depending on the location.

Anyway thanks for the info. I started checking fuse boxes last night, will continue later today.

Thanks again for your interest in helping.