Sign in to follow this  
Jayson

Replacing RV Electrical Outlets

An electrical outlet in my motorhome went bad. Can I replace that outlet with the regular household outlet that I can buy at Home Depot, instead of ordering it through a RV store?

Many RV outlets do not have a wiring box. The wire is laid in the outlet and a back is snapped on to force pins in the outlet to make connection. If you have the room to install an outlet box, I would do it. You will be able to use a better quality duplex outlet from one of the big box stores. I like to use the ones that have screw-down clamps to attach the wires vs. the push the wire in type.

I found that the surface-mount type receptacles work well. They are also useful to put a power point in a part of the unit that is not well served. For example, I used a good quality extension cord to plug into the outlet where the Tv antenna controller is (there is a receptacle there that is not easy to use. I ran the cord across the overhead section and fixed a box on the edge of the slider. Now were have a spot for a reading lamp on that side.

Paul

You would be wise to replace as many of your RV outlets as possible with standard household type outlets. The RV style are just an accident waiting to happen.

You would be wise to replace as many of your RV outlets as possible with standard household type outlets. The RV style are just an accident waiting to happen.

The standard RV outlets that are used are approved by RVIA and work very well. Like anything, if it is defective it can cause problems, but not due to design. It is not an accident waiting to happen. We have been using and installing them for over 35 years and never had any customer complaints.

The standard RV outlets that are used are approved by RVIA and work very well. Like anything, if it is defective it can cause problems, but not due to design. It is not an accident waiting to happen. We have been using and installing them for over 35 years and never had any customer complaints.

Well that is your opinion and this is my opinion. Oh they work OK as long as you don't run high current devices such as space heaters on them. The internal connection design just doesn't have enough contact area to handle high current. When I replaced all of mine several had burnt wiring around those stupid knife blade connections. To me that is definitely an accident waiting to happen.

To make matters worse to wire branch circuits they just push additional wires down on the existing connections. To me you just can't beat wire under screw connections for reliability and safety. Being approved by the RVIA is just like saying your stick house wiring meets minimum code meaning it's just barely adequate.

I would rather spend just a few dollars for upgraded outlets. Cheap insurance.

I totally agree, the best and safest way is to use screw terminals!!! As a license electrician for over 40 years, I have seen where the pressure type or push in connector will heat and cause the plastic to carbonize, then become a conductor. Also, you should only have one wire on either the pressure connector or under a screw on an outlet.