Sign in to follow this  
dickandlois

Turbo Charger Issues

The issue of a Toasted Turbo charger recently came up on one of the engine threads, in this case the bearing failed. However, the turbo spool fins can get damaged by dirt passing through the air filter or a number of other reasons.

One then gets to the why did mine fail.

I did have the high pressure oil line to mine fail at the connection point where it enters the turbo. The only thing that saved me from major damage is the fact that every time we stop, a walk around is done.

Looking at every item from the roof line down and a look under the coach from the front, back and sides.

Also feel the tires for unusual heat or a difference in temperature between tires.

One stop revealed the smell of hot oil in the area of the engine. No sign of oil on the bottom of the engine and no puddle or dripping.

Opened the dog house cover and a small column of gray smoke was rising from the area of the turbo.

Turbos need oil and a good quantity of it-- remember they are spinning at high speed and are mounted in the exhaust system. About the hottest location on the engine.

Good oil, filters, not trying to push the oil change intervals and allowing for a cool down time when stopping if the engine has been running under a heavy load just before pulling off the road; all are good for the engine and ones wallet.

The other item that can eat up a turbo is dirt!! Dirt particles passing over and through turbine blades is like the inside of a sand blaster on the intake. This removes fine metal that then goes through the CAC where some material starts to build up decreasing its efficiency, then whats left is ingested by the engine. A little like running sandpaper on every stroke.

The cost of having dirty air filers, loose couplings on the intake side of the turbo and any holes or damaged area to the intake plumbing can let in dirt, that can lead to a complete engine job along with any items in the loop.

This could also mean replacing the Air Compressor that is also connected to the same air source.

Lower power performance and to some degree a longer time replacing the air in the air systems are a clue to air intake issues. Remember In the case of air pressure issues, leaks at any point also will affect air levels.

That makes keeping the air path integrity in good condition, oil and filters a rather inexpensive option.

Sometimes one can do everything right and still have a turbo / engine failure.

Rich.

The biggest problem with the turbo bearings is hot shut down. There was a company out there that makes an after shut down lube system for the turbo.