sterlinglimos

Diesel Fuel Spilling Out Filler Tube Hours After Fueling

I have a Freightliner Party Bus with a Dynamax chassis that is having fueling issues. We keep having spillage from the filler tube hours after fueling.

My drivers keep saying that they are cleaning up any spillage immediately after fueling. Yet, the next day there is diesel fuel trailing down the bus from the closed lid of the the filler tube.

It is ruining my paint and I am not sure how to resolve the issue. I have advised my drivers to stop fueling when it shows half full in order to see if that can resolve the issue. Two of my drivers say that they have been doing just that.

Does anyone have any idea of why this is happening and what can be done about it.

Thanks so much!

Sounds like a venting problem or loose clamps as suggested by DD.

With a full fuel tank as the fuel heats up and expands it will be forced back out the filler hose to a point it can leak out.

The fuel filling line needs to be above the tank inlet level the entire length of the fill line, no dips between the Filler Cap and fuel tank.

Could you post if the Bus is hard to fill, like takes fuel slowly or fuel kind of bubbles back out the filler when fueling?

Rich.

Sometimes when I refuel then park the MH (and it gets really hot), I get some fuel coming out the overflow tube under the tank, but not out the filler tubes. Usually only a quart or so comes out...I catch in in a can.

Sometimes when I refuel then park the MH (and it gets really hot), I get some fuel coming out the overflow tube under the tank, but not out the filler tubes. Usually only a quart or so comes out...I catch in in a can.

The overflow tube on the top of the tank should be attached to the filler neck so no fuel is spilled. You may have a split vent hose or loose clamp.