Sign in to follow this  
lovatorica

Dometic RM 8401 Refrigerator

Hi there...

I have a question.
A have a refrigerator Dometic RM 8401 and I use gas as energy (and 12V DC power for electronic from car battery).
May I connect (direct) solar panel (which has 20V output) to the refrigerator for supply electronic?
Because, I have a problem with car battery.
Which is max. DC voltage for electronic (for this model)?

Tnx
Jurica,
Croatia

I would guess that the max would be 15-16 volts. I think you need to use a deep cycle battery and let the solar panel charge the battery.

Hi Jurica, Welcome to FMCA.

Like DD mentioned, you probably will need a Battery as the main source of 12 volts. Unless you have a larger solar setup on your coach and when the sun goes down your refrigerator will shutdown.

Rich.

Refrigerator PC boards are expensive.

A battery will keep voltage from going above (daytime) and below (nighttime) board tolerances.

Tnx guys...

I understand.

But, the problem is (I guess) in battery.

Early morning (about 4-5 a.m.), the voltage of battery is under 10,5 V, and the system shutdown.

I my opinion, I have to change the battery.

Or?

Yes, 10.5 VDC indicates either a bad battery or excessive loads for the size battery you have.

If you are not running other 12 VDC things, then, indeed, replace the battery before it costs you a PC board.

Brett

I agree.

I would be happy to have that part (DC 12V) somehow avoid.

Can be somehow be avoided?

I mean, I only need gas to cool the refrigerator, and the DC part ( power for electronic) bothers me.

Can I (somehow) bypass that part?

In a word, NO.

12 VDC controls the PC board AND opens the propane valve and powers the ignitor, etc. No way to do this without 12 VDC.

Not a good idea. I think the early rv refrigerators did not require electricity just like the home evaporation refrigerators of the 30's.

If you remove the 12 VDC and put in a manual gas shutoff valve, you will still need a spark. Said another way, if you just left it on 24/7 (no need for spark and thermostat non-functional), you would have no control over temperature and would likely freeze everything in the refrigerator.

desertdeals69, I dislike a battery because I would like to be independent of electricity (especially, charging the battery over the day).

wolfe10, it is seems, I have to, unfortunately, secure 12V power for electronic.

Tnx guys and regards from Croatia !!!!