Sign in to follow this  
Coachman201223cb

Stuttering Onan 4000 Generator

Six months ago we puchased a used 2012 Coachman Freelander 23CB. This last weekend we took a five day trip and used the genreator extensively......the generator now has fifty four hours. The generator runs great for the exception of some stuttering occuring on a regular basis.......I'm guessing every two to four minute intervals. The engine never stops and recovers quickly. Just checking to see if ayone out there has had a similar problem with a pratically new generator. Any suggestions or sollutions would be greatly apreciated. BTW, great forum. I'm new and this forum is a good way for a new motorhome owner to learn.

Thanks

Bill

Bill,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

An easy way to rule out a problem with fuel pickup in tank (we assume this happens even with more than 1/2 full fuel tank) and fuel line is to run the generator from a gas can next to the generator with piece of fuel line to the generator.

As with anytime you are working with a flammable be careful doing this.

Hi Bill, and Welcome to the FMCA Forum!!

Just wondering what a your present altitude is ? There is a setting on the carburetor to lean out the mixture if needed. The setting is often set for sea level operation !

Rich.

Stuttering as you call it and the phrase "on a regular basis" suggest to me that this might be a load which is kicking in regularly. When our refrigerator compressor starts, the generator speeds up then immediately slows as the initial load starting any motor is high and then immediately drops. Air conditioners, refrigerators, have motors that will do this. Other heavy loads such as battery charger, water heater, coffee maker, etc. may cause a sudden increase and the generator may overcompensate a little so they might cause a drop after the initial pulse. Our coffeemaker switches heat off and on once the brewing process is done. With each off cycle the generator drops off and then kicks back it as the heater goes on again. Think about things in your coach which cycle on and off regularly and watch/listen to see if they might be causing the stuttering.

With gen running turn on enough stuff(ac,microwave,hot water heater,etc) to load the gen good.

If you have problem with fuel it will show up pronto under a good load. Just don't overload it.

Dave

My 4000 did that, I found the wire from the switch that runs down to a terminal was loose. It is a push on female end. It drove me crazy for a year. I worked for Cummins CT and every tech in the gen dept. looked at it. I found it by accident after I squeezed the terminal with pliers it ran fine for 5years until i sold it.