Sign in to follow this  
geraldlanc

Chassis Batteries Not Charging

I have a Prosine 2500 inverter/charger in my motorhome. When connected to shore power, the house batteries charge, but the chassis batteries do not. The motor does charge the chassis batteries.

I have read and reread the manual, but have no clue what to do. Can someone help?

Even thinking about electrical issues makes my head hurt.

Gerald

Gerald,

Many coaches are not wired for the inverter/charger or converter to charge the chassis batteries.

So, first thing is to contact your coach manufacturer to see whether yours is wired to charge only house or both house and chassis.

There are a number of ways to maintain the chassis battery if your is not wired to charge the chassis battery.

Here is what I use: http://batteryminders.com/12-volt-maintenance-charger-desfulator-1500

My 07 HR Endeavor did not come with the ability to charge chassis batteries even though dealer lead me to believe it did. I too went with battery minder product and connected it to outlet on one of the storage bays just in front of the battery bay. Works great and have never been without full charge as coach stays connected to shore power in garage when not on the road. A quick disconnect of the chord in the battery bay and we are off. When dry camping, be sure and also unplug the "charger" from the outlet in the storage bay as it will create a pretty good parasitic load even with it not connected to chassis batteries.

Like the last two replies.Get a battery minder type product. Costco has a real good battery minder unit on sale for $44.95. Just be aware this is not a charger and if your battery got real low you have to use a normal charger to charge before the Battery minder works.

Why did no one here even bother to ask the OP what kind of motorhome he has? With that information, we could determine if it was equipped to charge the chassis batteries, and thus just failing, or if it was not so equipped.