Sign in to follow this  
geraldlanc

Battery Charger For Chassis Batteries

Clay,

I use the same model-- actually a 1500 for chassis and 2012 for house when in storage. The deslufation feature is the primary difference and reason I chose it over other models.

My house Interstate batteries that came with the motor home lasted 8 full timing years.

I like to think because of the desulphating feature.

A few years ago we inherited a 3000 tree commerecial peach orchard in CO and used a Battery Minder to keep the batteries on all of the stored equipment batteries charged all winter. Did a good job there as well.

I have a BatteryMINDer 12248. I put it on the house batteries and the chassis battery for a week at a time, usually at least once between each time we take the RV out. One week on the house batteries, then move it to the chassis battery for a week. I also put it on the cars when I can and my riding mower's battery. For the rest of the time, for the house battery I replaced my converter with a Converter that has 3 charging levels.

http://www.bestconverter.com/MagnetekParallax-63007300-Upgrade-Kit_c_64.html

Apparently my inverter/charger does not charge the chassis batteries, so I would like to hook up a battery tender to them.

What is the correct way to do this?

Gerald

Like other have said.buy a 1.25 amp battery charger(aka) battery minder) or if your plugged in to SP run a jumper wire to your chassis batteries from your house batteries.

Just a word of caution: While ticat900's suggestion of jumper wire from house to chassis battery is absolutely correct electrically, be VERY VERY careful doing this, as allowing either end of that jumper to touch either a negative battery terminal or any piece of metal on the coach creates a DEAD SHORT and can easily become red hot and cause a fire.

Just a word of caution: While ticat900's suggestion of jumper wire from house to chassis battery is absolutely correct electrically, be VERY VERY careful doing this, as allowing either end of that jumper to touch either a negative battery terminal or any piece of metal on the coach creates a DEAD SHORT and can easily become red hot and cause a fire.

Not really. Its not rocket science, no different than jumper cables or any 12V hot wire.

One has to assume its someone who knows what their doing and not someone whom has not a clue.