tomcypress

Best Small SUV To Tow?

We have a 2008 Saturn Vue. Great tow car. Does not have all the restrictions on time, speed, etc as many of the others. Almost all of the Chevy models tow just as easy as the Saturn. In particular the Chevy Equinox is almost identical to the Saturn. When my Saturn eventually dies, I'll be looking at the Equinox.

I towed a 2010 4 cylinder Equinox for a while but it had a mysterious oil usage problem, you could drive a 1000 miles at times and no usage then the next 500 loose 2 qts and Chevy claimed that was acceptable and in range for oil usage ?? I got tired of arguing and traded it off and I was not the only one with this problem, so be sure that the oil usage problem has been corrected.

Other than that and a lot of road noise it was OK and good fuel mileage.

I tow a 2013 Lincoln MKX 4 down. Get 18-20 around town. 24-26 on highway.

Prior to that I towed a 2000 Saturn Vue four down.

Both are nice cars to tow but the MKX sure does have a lot of bells and whistles.

Any updates on new SUVs that can be flat towed? I have a 2017 Ford Escape and just found out it has to be trailered, all 4 wheels off the ground.

Since this thread started in 2013, it should be noted that starting with model year 2015, the Honda CRV is not towable four down.  Honda put one of the new CVT (or whatever they call it) new transmissions in, which is not towable.

42 minutes ago, FIVE said:

Honda put one of the new CVT (or whatever they call it) new transmissions in, which is not towable.

I know I just rolled 100,000 miles in my 2014. I wish we could do enough lobbying with Honda to get them to make a option package available that made one towable. I would pay extra if it came with a base plate and wiring kit already installed ready to tow.

Bill 

I called Honda's corp and complained and sent them a snail mail letter.  The letter included an article from one of the MH magazines stating how we all loved the CRV and (at the time) it was the favorite vehicle used as a toad.  They did acknowledge the letter and gave me a number to call.  I called the number and the bottom line was that the new transmission increased Honda's over all MPG in their attempt to meet the gubmint's MPG goal.