dgrandusky

Western NY South To The Warmth

Question

4 answers to this question

dgrandusky,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Three places come to mind for warmth-- FL, south TX and AZ. Of course they would be via very different routes. Any preference?

In January the routes would basically be the same initially. Head south to Jacksonville, Florida. Then choose to continue south or turn west toward Texas and Arizona. For a first year out you may want to spend a few weeks, maybe a month somewhere in Florida, then move on to Texas and finally spend some time in Arizona. Then you will have a good basis for deciding where to go next winter! Yes, there are shorter ways to get from New York to Texas or Arizona but in January I like to point the nose at the big letter S until it gets nice and warm! From Western NY, I would work my way to the coast initially to minimize the effects winter weather on the roads. Looking at cross country routes that time of year would require a serious look at the weather forecast and continual updates daily to ensure that your route is going to be clear of winter storms.

Enjoy your trip and be thankful for the wonderful experience of traveling south in the winter in a motor home.

If you are coming through the Tampa area we'd welcome you to spend a night or 2 at our house if the dates work. We have a couple hookups including a dump station( w/ 5 AC).

DGrandusky, ... I think Tom summed it up pretty well, weather conditions will influence your route. I also have recently retired and in January, around the 7th, my wife and I will head for Quartzsite AZ to experience the "Big Show". I have prepared several different routes and the one we take will be influenced by the then current weather. I have seen times when it was better to take a northern route because of the storm patterns. The good thing is, if you do get caught all you have to do is hunker down for a day or two... you have your home with you.

Good luck with your planning and be flexible! Safe travels!

Poppo