Sign in to follow this  
rhester336

Spartan Discovery 2010 Ignition Switch Start Issue

I turn the key to on and all dash lights come on and glowplug wait light comes on then off when ready to start. I turn the key to start and hear a faint click. I turned it off and I engaged the Aux battery start and same thing. I then can turn the key all the way past the off position to the ACC position and then back to the start right away and it will crank. I am fearful this work around will not last long. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

From your description, I would suspect the starter Relay or solenoid that is between the starter solenoid (located on the Starter) and the ignition switch.

ALL Connections need to be clean and tight for reliable operation, so a good cleaning of the connections could be in order. REMOVE the battery grounds before working on the large cable connections.

The location of this item is generally close to the starter, this limits the length the heavy cable required to supply adequate current to the starter. Often referred to as the castle relay, with a wire from the ignition switch supplying power to the coil and one wire going to ground. 2 large wires run between the battery and one terminal of the relay contacts. The other goes from the relay to the starter solenoid.

Should you find yourself in a no start setting and all else is working. One can jump across this relay to start the engine, BUT know what you are doing, using a jumper cable and when the engine cranks ! It is rather unnerving if you have never had to do this as you need to be under the engine in most cases !!!

Work safe AND get HELP if you are not sure of this procedure.

Rich.

I turn the key to on and all dash lights come on and glowplug wait light comes on then off when ready to start. I turn the key to start and hear a faint click. I turned it off and I engaged the Aux battery start and same thing. I then can turn the key all the way past the off position to the ACC position and then back to the start right away and it will crank. I am fearful this work around will not last long. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, from a mechanical standpoint, it sounds like a either a bad ignition/start switch, or the switch could possibly be out of adjustment. Since you have to turn it back past the accessory position to get it to engage the starter, I'm leaning towards the switch being bad and possibly having a burnt or broken contact. One way to tell is to use a multimeter and check the resistance of the switch - probe the battery and start circuits while operating the switch with the harness unplugged. If you aren't seeing continuity while operating the switch normally then the switch itself is probably bad.

EDITED**** Just had a thought..... since this is obviously a diesel unit, do you know whether or not the glow plug timer is designed to keep the starter disengaged until the glow plug temperature is optimal for ignition? Never heard of a diesel engine that had this feature, but since this is a motor coach anything is possible. Might check the owners manual just to be safe.....

Just as a side note: Though we don't know what engine Rob has, it is quite unlikely that it has glow plugs. Most modern diesels have INTAKE MANIFOLD HEATERS to aid in starting in cold weather.

Yes, smaller diesels, particularly those with a pre-chamber have glow plugs.

Just as a side note: Though we don't know what engine Rob has, it is quite unlikely that it has glow plugs. Most modern diesels have INTAKE MANIFOLD HEATERS to aid in starting in cold weather.

Yes, smaller diesels, particularly those with a pre-chamber have glow plugs.

True. Not to be argumentive, but he did state that he has a "glow plug wait light", which I'm assuming illuminates when the ignition switch is turned on.......

Rob,

I have had this same issue several times. Check your solenoids. You have a 12 volt constant duty solenoid that pass power when the ignition is turned on. You can check it with a test light. Turn on your key, ground the test light and check both large lugs on the solenoid. If you have power to both they are good. If not they are faulty. They can, if going bad, work intermittently.

If they are good then see if you can remove the solenoid from the starter. The contacts may be burnt. If so they can be cleaned and returned to service.

Herman