Sign in to follow this  
HarveyWhite

Generator Power Cable

While servicing the gen set found that the conduit that the main power wires go though has broken and when you roll it back in it is flexing right there so a real good chance of a short is present. has any one else had this happen and if so what kind of conduit can you use that will take the flexing.

I'm thinking on calling Tiffin maybe they have had a upgrade.

Harvey, There are a number of different Flexible conduit suppliers. Making different styles and sizes used for different applications.

Look up flexible conduit on the web, then check the code for use in mobile applications.

Rich.

Good Morning guy's I'm going to get a pic of this and will post it. the conduit didn't pull out of the gen set, it makes a loop towards the rear when the gen is rolled back in it gets in to a kink. I called Tiffin yesterday the tech told me he had seen this before to just try and move it in a manner for it not to kink anymore.

I really feel the cable was too short to begin with so we will get a picture and some great input and get the solution in progress.

I sure enjoy this forum and the great folks on here.

Harvey

If you can't tape the split area and tie it in a position where it wont kink then I suggest you cut the cable and install a junction box and then a new longer one as required with conduit wire from junction box to gen set.

Harvey,

I am assuming your are speaking of the AC cable. If so here are my thoughts.

The cable is attached to the frame and into the Gen Set. Therefore to lengthen the cable you might need to put a water proof box in the location where the cable is attached.

Put a 90 degree water proof connector on the gen set and add enough new water tight conduit to give you the correct length as to be able to move the gen without putting it in a bind. You will also need a longer cable (12-2/ground or matching what is there now) from the gen to the box. When you put it in a loop be sure that it doesn't rub or snag on something else.

I hope this helps. I can see it in my mind and hope I have presented it properly.

Herman

Good answers, kinda what I was thinking, for this cable & conduit they ran the conduit has a grey plastic covering metal flex, and it's completely into so the metal is rubbing on the wire's scary!!!

I am going to work on it this weekend sure don't need any extra aggravation, I am already married. lol again sure appreciate the respons.I am going to take some before & after shots to post.

Harvey

When you purchase the wire, be sure to purchase multi-strand wire. Ordinary wire with a single copper conductor will break when bent back and forth repeatedly. You don't want the standard 12-2 w/ground or 10/3 w/ground which is household wiring. You haven't said what model your generator is but if it supplies dual 30A circuits like ours, you would want #10 wire and each wire (hot(s), neutral and ground) should be multiple fine strands of copper, not a single large copper wire. A wire made of multiple strands of fine wire is designed to be flexible.