fnt8100@gmail.com

Looking for tire pressure monitor

I'm studying the reliability of models on the market, tire pressure monitors. I would like to get one that is easy to install. No dismounting of tires. Would also like to be able to test the actual tire pressure with a hand held pressure gauge occasionally to be sure the monitor is performing accurately. Does anyone have thoughts particularily on models they own and use. Most seem to cost about the same-$350 to $500. Ease of install, use, and accuracy are important. Reputation for long term reliability is useful in making a choice.

Can't really help from personal experience on the remote tpms,,,,however,,,,,

About 3 years ago,,,,,I had temporary cat's eye type monitors installed,,,,,,and was going to go with the Doran tpms,,,however,,,,,the temp monitors have worked extremely well, although there is no remote monitoring,,,,I check them at every stop while traveling.

I was told when they were installed,,,if installed properly,,,they do a good job.

That said,,,,I am looking at the TST,,which is similar to the Doran,,,,,I have read good things about the valve stem monitors,,,,,,

Right now, I am in the, if it ain't broke mode,,,,,,,,,

Good Luck with what you decide,,,,let us know how it works out.

:rolleyes: I've been using a Pressure Pro this year. It works pretty good as there's no major fluctuations between the sensors. Ran about $700.00 for all 10 wheels. I had a unit I got off the internet prior to picking this one up at a Rally. The other unit was very unreliabel so I returned it. Big thing is get metal valve stems installed on your toad. Also be ready to do some messing around until you understand the system. I put valve stem extenders on my coach's rear wheels for ease in airing. I finally used the log wirebraded ones with good luck after trying other options. I also put on 1" extenders on the front wheels for ease also. Now that I've done all the above it's a breeze to check and air tires. Camping World has a unit now which costs a tad less. I would try their system as you could return it if it wasn't what you want. Also their sensors seem to be the same ones that I'm using so I'm thinking it may be the same unit I have but with a different look.

I have the Pressure Pro system and have been mostly happy with it, but I think I have stumbled on to something better. Saw the ad for these strap things made by Tyron and went searching to find out how they work. Think I'm going to get them since it makes sense. Haven't checked the price yet so we'll see. Thier site TYRON has a pressure monitoring system that looks like you can add air without unscrewing the caps. Check these out at the above site.

I have had my Pressure Pro system since 2006 and have not had any major problems with the system. The few small problems has been handled by excellent factory support. The biggest problem occured when I transferred the system from my 05 Discovery to the 08 Revolution. The valve stems on the Revolution tag axle would not seat with the pressure monitors and leaked. I had to add a 180 degree extension to stop the leakage. I added this type of extension because the factory stems are rather long and wanted to turn the sensor back towards the rim. It would be nice to have a way to check the tire pressure with a gauge just to keep tabs on the system. I have found the reading on the monitor and my pressure gauge to be different by 3 to 4 lbs. with the monitor showing the lower pressure. You can remove the sensor and check the air pressure if you can reinstall the sensor within one minute as it looses it base setting after one minute and you have to go thru the base set up again. I would recommend the boost antenna if your unit is over 40 ft. I think you would be pleased with the Pressure Pro system and the people who make the system, they are great.

Don Martin dmbojangle@yahoo.com

08 REV LE 42N

07 Saturn VUE

Conroe, Texas

I had Pressure Pro installed in the Southeast FMCA Rally in Brooksville, FL in Feb., 2008. I believe it was around $600. I had them installed on my 05" discovery and my toad. I got them because I hated the constant checking of tire pressure. Now before I leave on a trip I just push the button and the individual tire pressure shows up. I also have my wife check them going down the road, especially in the Summer. I have checked the pressures twice by hand and the Pressure Pro was within 2 lbs. I had two blowouts in my previous coach and enjoy the ease and peace of mind of the Pressure Pro. I would recommend them.

Bob Beyer, F353488

2005 Discovery

2004 Saturn Vue

You can remove the sensor and check the air pressure if you can reinstall the sensor within one minute as it looses it base setting after one minute and you have to go thru the base set up again.

Don Martin dmbojangle@yahoo.com

08 REV LE 42N

07 Saturn VUE

Conroe, Texas

Actually you don't have to go through the set-up process again. If you have the sensor off for more than a minute or so it will just reset to the pressure that is in the tire.

That info is in the FAQ section of the manual.

Hi Frank,

This is another vote for Pressure Pro. I've been using the system for 3 years. After I got past the bad sensors they sent me the system is functioning as advertised. I would make the same purchase again. You will need to ensure to have metal valve stems installed on all tires that are monitored. I didn't do this and did have a leak in one stem. PP notified me of the leak. I kept the tire inflated until I could get to a GMC dealer. I had them install metal stems. Since then, there have been no problems.

Frank,

I would highly recommend PressurePro!

Two years ago when we were leaving old Mexico after spending the winter, we nearly lost one of our dual wheels. By chance we stopped at a roadside vendor and then noticed the wheel sitting at a peculiar angle, held on by one lugnut. The tire was flat, but fortunately not ruined and we were able to get it aired up and using one lugnut from each of the other wheels, and with help from a friend following us, put the wheel back on our motor home. What amazed us was we had no indication riding inside the motor home, that there was any problem with the wheel.

When I returned home I began to look for a TPMS and did a lot of research. My conclusion was that PressurePro was the best. PressurePro is the original TPMS having been in business 19 years. The system is very user friendly - easily installs in 20-30 minutes; monitors tire pressures 12,343 times every 24 hrs, alerts you to a problem before it becomes serious with a visiual and audible alert to 12 1/2% loss in pressure and again when 25% pressure is lost. PressurePro is the onlyTPMS made in the USA.

I told one of my sons about it, who bought a system for his 5th wheel, and four RV friends of the benefits of the PressurePro system and they all purchased their systems from the dealer where I purchased mine. My wife told me if I was going to keep "selling" the product, I needed to become a dealer. So I did. All my customers seem to be happy with the system and I haven't received any complaints.

Also, when removing the sensor to put more air in the tire, it is not necessary to re-program it. Just leave the sensor off for 60 seconds, replace it, and it will automatically use the new pressure as its baseline.

Happy trails,

Larry

We purchased the Tire Sentry monitoring system 2 years ago and have been very pleased with it. We chose it over Pressure Pro, in part, because when the batteries need replacing we can change them ourselves. It ran about the same as the Pressure Pro and was very easy to install. No false alarms, but it does let you know when you have a low tire.

We have used a Doran 360RV monitor for about two years. We monitor 10 tires (coach & toad). The tire set point pressures are set at the control unit in the coach. There are separate alarms for over-pressure, under-pressure with a slow leak, and a blow-out alarm if the tire pressure drops quickly.

You have to remove the monitor from the valve stem to check or adjust the pressure, but it is no harder than removing a dust cap from the valve stem.

Metal valve stems would be a good idea. We had a flat on the toad because the extra weight of the monitor caused a valve stem to leak at highway speeds.

Frank,

I bought and installed the Pressure Pro valve stem system on my '04 Newmar Dutch Star and toad Jeep Grand Cherokee. It worked great for a couple of thousand miles on our 5000 mile round trip from Orlando to Yellowstone and back. When we left Sheridan, Wyoming, word was that I-90 had been flooded off and on east of Billings, Mont. due to heavy rains and snow melt that caused the Bighorn river of overflow. We needed to get to Yellowstone to make our reservations so we headed out and took a detour on two lane roads up to I-94 which would get us around the flood area. Things were fine until we hit a stretch of road with wide open expansion joints and even slowing to about 45 mph, we still felt the severe ba-bam, ba-bam, ba-bam of the tires hitting each joint and jarring the coach pretty severly. After about 5 miles of this, the Pressure Pro signaled low pressure in the right rear outside tandem tire and indicated the pressure was dropping to under 100 psi and going down. My wife and I looked frantically for a place to pull over on this small, two lane road in the middle of nowhere as the pressure dropped to 95. Thank God we came across a pull-over spot and let out a sigh of relief. I took the valve stem sensing unit off the valve stem and checked the pressure. It stood at 95 psi. I waited for a few minutes and took the pressure again and it remained at 95. Since the tire didn't seem to have a leak, after another check after seeral more minutes, I had to conclude that the constant pounding of the tires going over the expansion joints had caused the valve stem pressure sensor to come loose and allowed air to leak out of the tire.

Fast forward: I removed all the sensors after discussing the situation with the owner of the company where I purchased the system and returned them to him with the promise of a full refund, which he did. After our return, it was time for new tires and I had Camping World install the Smart Tire system which requires the installation of the sensors on the hubs inside the tires. This is the system most used by truckers. It works great and I couldn't be happier with this system. I know it doesn't meet your needs to not have to remove the tires, but Camping World is well equipped to do so and I would recommend them for this installation or you could have it done by any reputable truck service company.

Good luck and let me know what you decide at bsnids@cfl.rr.com

I installed the "Pressure Pro" on my Allegro Bus and oin my tow vehicle. All I have to do is push a button and rotate it around starting with the right front tire and around complete and end at the left front tire. It is simple to install and for the pressure, you just screw on the cap sender. I have felt safe since I installed this system

Billy B. Clark

FMCA MEMBER 387015

Pride, LA 70770

e-mail: bclarkb@cox.net

I've used Pressure Pro for several years and been very Happy with the system. There is one disadvantage to it though. When the batteries go bad in the sensors, they are not replaceable in the field. You must exchange them for new ones. :) the new ones are priced at about 50% of the new price. :rolleyes: The batteries are suppose to last about five years. When I'm parked for any lenght of time I remove them and store them in a tackle box thus extending the life of the batteries. Each sensor is stored in it's own puca of the tackle box so I know where to reinstall it when I travel again. Works great and gives me great piece of mind.

I figured the cost of the system would be less than the cost of new tire and repairing the damage to the motorhome caused by a blow-out. Money well spent

Scotty Haskell 1997 Bounder 34J

I also have had a lot of piece of mind with Pressure Pro. The only problem that I have had is related to temperature. I am a full timer and when I set the Pressure Pro air pressures on my toad in the winter and then drive to somewhere warmer the tires warm up from driving as well as the tire pressure goes up because it is warmer. This causes the total air pressure to go over the 10% limit and I get an overpressure alarm. My car's tire pressure is set at 28# so 10% is under a 3# increase. I wish that I could set the overpressure limit for the toad's tires only to a higher percentage.

We have the Presure Pro system for six wheels; however, I have not installed it yet. Based on other user reviews and my own research, I picked this system for its ease in installation. The only drawback I see, at this point, is that if I need to adjust the tire air pressures, the tire sensors must be removed.

I will have a better assessment once I have used the system.

I have two things to add to this discussion.

First, to Travelingsages, it is possible to adjust the overpressure adjustment on the Pressure Pro but it is system wide, you can't adjust just the overpressure on the toad. I would go ahead and adjust the overpressure limit to 15 or even 20% for the whole system. My motor home tires regularly go up 15 to 20 pounds when driving on a hot summer day. Also, when you are in a warmer area and your tire pressure goes up as it will in warmer locations, bleed off some air. Do this when the tires are cold in the morning, set the pressure where you want it with a tire gauge. When you do this, it should take you over one minute. This will re-set the Pressure Pro to the new pressure in the tire and then you shouldn't have any problem with the overpressure alarm. Pressure Pro monitors your tires but it is not an install and forget it system. You should be adjusting your tire pressures for seasonal changes in temperature. Traveling may also bring about the need for pressure adjustments. Moving from cool mountain temperatures in summer to hot temperatures at lower altitudes also require adjusting tire pressure. Likewise, going from hot summer temperatures like the current near 100 degrees in Texas to mountain temperatures in the 60's and 70's in the summer will require tire pressure adjustments also. Of course these statements apply to the toad and your motor home as well.

My second point, I recently had an incident that proved the value of the Pressure Pro. We were parked in an RV park near Springfield, Illinois. We were traveling with our grandsons and planning on doing some sightseeing the next day. As I prepared to go to bed, the alarm on the Pressure Pro went off. I checked and the alarm was for the right rear tire on the toad. The pressure was about 5 pounds low. I wasn't going to do anything with it at that time, I went to bed resolved to finding a flat tire the next morning. When I got up and went outside, the tire was still inflated and the pressure hadn't dropped too much so I drove to a tire shop and got the tire repaired. It was a large bolt that we had run over. Without the Pressure Pro I might not have known that the tire was losing pressure until it went completely flat.

I recently replaced the set of tires on the toad and had steel tire valves installed on all wheels. They cost just $4.50 each and seem to be improving the signal strength from the sensors. I used to have a sensor or two drop out on the toad from time to time. Our last trip out they all worked 100%, no occasional dropping out.

Welcome Maxherrer,

After 10 days, the answer might look like a no. I haven't any experience here but I'll chime in for two purposes. One, I want to let you know that somebody is reading your post. Second when I reply, this should kick your question back onto the main page list of topics that are currently being discussed. So here is my shot at helping you out.

If you do decide to try this system, please write a review of your experience in dealing with the company and what you see as the pluses and minuses of this system after you have had a chance to give it a good work out.