washtech

Whole House Water Filter

I'm a "newbie" and having a problem getting the whole house water filter housing to unscrew so I can winterize the system. It's VERY TIGHT, does anyone have any suggestions as how I might get it loose "without" breaking the plastic housing or bracket which attaches it to the tank?

Thanks,

The Jackster

Jackster,

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a Plastic wrench made for the filter. You may purchase them from your DYI stores. You may also use a strap wrench from your local Auto Parts stores.

Good luck,

Herman

Hello and thanks for the reply Herman. I've actually got the appropriate wrench, but the housing is screwed on so tight I'm afraid I'll break the bracket holding it to the tank. Am I correct in assuming, righty tighty and lefty loosey?

Thanks, Jack

Thanks for confirming Mr. Desertdeals.

Headed out to try it again shortly. Do you also have any comment regarding my last post relating the the Hydro-Hot?

Thanks,

washtech aka jackster

Thanks all. It's simply not coming off. Don't know who put it on so tight or why. Sooo I'll disconnect the hoses and remove the mounting bracket and filter housing from the tank and put the mounting bracket in a vice at the shop, if that doesn't work I'll just buy a whole new unit. You can bet on the fact that it will never be that tight again and I'll definately use the vaseline on the O-ring.

Actually I don't believe there is any type of ID on the filter housing, but I'll take another look tomorrow.

Jackster

Sometimes, applying a little heat then cooling slightly will help. I do mean a little heat, not a propane torch of course, I use my wife's hair dryer holding it far enough away as not to melt the plastic, then applying a little extra pressure on the filter wrench might work.

Kay