Sign in to follow this  
Kactus

2010 Discovery 40X Spartan Chassis

I recently purchased a 2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X from a private party.

I am experiencing a rough ride in front, mostly on the passenger side. The rough ride is mostly on concrete highways and highways in need of repair. I have 100 psi in the front and 90 psi in the rear as Spartan and Goodyear recommends until I get the coach weighed.

The rough ride is such that the front right mirror has come loose enough to actually flop around on I-10 westbound east of El Paso, TX. And all of the defroster screws keep backing out. Today I noticed the wood casing around the household refrigerator has broken into two pieces on the front passenger side behind the co-pilot seat.

I am at a FMCA rally in Indio, Ca and contacted the Spartan Rep here and he suggested I take the coach to an Authorized Spartan Facility and have the front end checked.

However, I cannot find a Recognized Spartan Facility in the Yuma, Phoenix or Las Vegas areas I would trust. I am seeing listed Camping World, RV sales, Freightliner among some Mom and Pop garages listed. Not one facility that I would trust to be an expert on Spartan Chassis to do ride adjustments.

My question is has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Right now my best option is to return home to Sparks, NV and take the coach to Rocky Mountain Cummins that I trust and is authorized Spartan Facility and if they are not able to diagnose the problem and fix it I will be forced to take a trip to the factory in MI.

Del

Del,

You or virtually any shop can start with the basics. Start by verifying RIDE HEIGHT. If incorrect, the ride could be terrible.

Also check condition of shocks.

And if at an FMCA event, get the coach weighted and set tire pressure accordingly.

Del,

Welcome to the Forum.

The first thing I would do would be to have all the tires inspected and balanced. It is one of the first things you can do to eliminate in your vibration. When you feel the vibrations is it in the steering wheel or do you feel it through the seat and floor? Steering wheel, front = front tires. In the seat and floor indicates rear tires. Also if you can take a look at the shocks and check for signs of leakage.

Herman

You don't say if the vibration varies with speed. I had a terrible vibration in the right front when I first bought my mh. I had it at a FL dealer in Tyler, TX for over six weeks and they could never find the problem. When I picked it up, I stopped at the local Goodyear Wingfoot store and when they put the right front tire on their balancing machine it wobbled like a one legged man. Replaced the bent wheel and all has been well.

Don't know if this will be of any help, just another thing to check.

Is this a harsh ride issue (like when you hit expansion joints) or is it a vibration issue (on any surface and may vary by speed)?.