huffypuff

Somethings You Have To Do Yourself!

When I brought my coach at 19,000 miles I told the dealer to replace all the filters. When I had a breakdown with the jacks I had to open the side a/c condenser and swing it out for access to the hydraulic pump. Also in there I found two filters that weren't changed as in still original from the factory.

I had since in the 14 months I owned this coach put an additional 19,000 miles on it. Can you imagine my horror knowing there is 38,000 miles on the primary fuel/water separator and the air brakes/air bag suspension air dryer?

Needless to say I changed both filters today, got them cheaper through O'Reilly's and order the replacement dryer filter. Lesson learned, never trust a dealer to watch your back. I'm am lucky that these filters didn't give me any trouble.

Yes, I STRONGLY believe (and teach at the Seminars I give at Rallies for the http://www.dieselrvclub.org/ and Caterpillar Engine Maintenance Seminars at FMCA Conventions that one is responsible for keeping up with what needs to be done as far as Preventive Maintenance on their rig.

That is not to say that one needs to do it-- it can be 100% hired out, do it all yourself or a combination. But the point is YOU need to know what needs to be done and when.

BTW, air dryers are a critical safety item (think air brakes). Use only FACTORY parts, not knock-offs from overseas. Read on the box!

Brett that is a nice link you posted there and you are right, I should known and check the filters even though the dealer said the coach was turn key. I didn't think that I had any reason to look behind the a/c condenser but I did when the leveling system gave problems. I did change the air filter and oil and filter after the Alaskan tour because going through the Yukon road construction was a filthy mess. It's due for another oil change after my holiday tour.

Ernie I never had any engine performance problem but when I started the engine after changing both fuel filters it had to burp. I tried bleeding the filters by cycling the key several times and using a hand pump with little success. Finally I removed both filters and filled them as I didn't want to take a chance of getting the engine air bound. I won't know if the high mileage filters are clogging but I'm sure they are beyond their service requirement.

So as a newbie I should be able to (and should) change the air filter, fuel/water seperator , jack fluid level. What other filters should I be able to do on my own

So as a newbie I should be able to (and should) change the air filter, fuel/water seperator , jack fluid level. What other filters should I be able to do on my own

Mike,

I will restate that per MY philosophy:

You are responsible for knowing what Preventive Maintenance needs to be done (and hopefully why). Whether you do it or hire it out or some combination there-of is not important. If you don't keep up with it, you will likely spend a LOT more to keep it going. Example: don't change coolant until it turns acidic-- buy a new radiator, water pump, etc. Don't change belts-- stuck on the side of the road with broken belts. Basically, it comes down to PM or side of the road. Yes, RV's are complicated machines. I would much rather do the work (or pay for the work) at MY convenience, not on the side of the road.

There are some parts that you should carry with you. Don't own a screwdriver-- no problem. You can find someone who can work on your rig anywhere in North America. But, you may not be able to find the part you need on a weekend, late at night, etc.

Might you want to learn how to do the couple of things that account for 75% of the "I am broken down on the side of the road"? Your call.

This is EXACTLY what I teach in the seminars I give for the Diesel RV Club.

Brett