rickw1221

Dedicated GPS Worth It vs Google Maps?

I like the touch screen capabilities of iPhone and iPad, and I find myself just using their maps a lot.

Is there any compelling reason to use a dedicated GPS any more?

If so, then which one these days?

Thanks!

rickw1221,

Welcome to the Forum.

I myself like the GPS unit that I have mounted on my dash. It is connected to the DC outlet, it has it own stand, and I can do my searches just like my phone (when I pull over and stop to look).

One thing I do not do is rely on it to be the final say. I always try to visit maps to make sure I have an idea of where I am heading.

Both the GPS and Google maps are good but neither are always correct.

Herman

I know people who say that the days of the GPS are numbered and they may well be but I don't see any comparison between Google Maps and GPS. With the GPS you can set it to calculate a route based on your preferences, fastest route or shortest route. You can tell it you prefer major highways or that you want to avoid toll roads. We are currently in New Zealand. I brought my GPS with me. In a strange land with strange names for cities, towns, roads, etc. and wildly different driving conventions, the GPS has kept me sane and on the right road. Yes, Louise checks maps as we go along and can give general information but the GPS is telling me which exit to take in a round-about or rotary. So far it has missed only one time on the exit to take from the rotary. Knowing that going in relieves me of trying to look for signs, read them and then decide is that really the road that I want to take? I love the distance to next turn or destination feature, it lets me know how far away the turn is so I can slow in plenty of time to make a controlled turn. I've been using the same GPS for the car and the motor home but I plan to get a dedicated motor home GPS before we leave home this summer.

That said, when we return to the states, I plan to get an i-pad and the Jeppeson software to use for my navigation when I fly. The information it will provide will be much greater than the information that my GPS provides and updates will be easier and cost less. In this case, the paper charts are rapidly disappearing and the digital information has to be dead-on-right. Jeppeson has been doing this for years and I'll use their data. I wouldn't try to use an i-pad while driving!

We use a trucker's Garmin GPS that provides a view of the lanes with the one you should be in or will be exiting highlighted; maps don't do that for you. You set it with your MH heights, weights, etc. so it will avoid tunnels and low overpasses. It can be changed to auto mode to use in your toad. We find the GPS a necessary accessory in our MH.

I agree with others, we use multiple resources to plan our trip. And sometimes, we set the GPS but will defy it's audio instructions per what we saw on maps for a section or part of the trip.

I still prefer a stand alone GPS for one reason main reason. No one is going to steal it when I leave it in my car. I can't be sure that same thing would happen if I leave my tablet in the car and I don't want to carry it with me at every stop I make.

I also prefer the Garmin 2013 series vs. an RV specific unit. I can load whatever additional POI's interest me but enjoy the lane guidance and voice activation.

I am interested in purchasing a RV Navigation system for our class A Thor Motor Coach. I have read about these 7" screens:Garmin's RV 760LMT, Magellan's RV9365T-LMB and Good Sam RVND7725. Does anyone know the pros and cons of either?

2nuRvers

Yes, many do. Search this forum, any other RV forum and the GPS forums and you will find good and bad info about them all. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as an RV GPS. All the GPS units use the same routing and base map information but some claim to adjust this information based upon the users vehicle type input. Some also have some additional RV POI's but these are also available as an add-on to nearly all GPS units.

I use my GS GPS along with MS Streets and Trips and Google Maps to plot my routes. I do not want to be caught in a situation whereby I have to try to turn around a 45 foot coach on a 2 lane road. The GPS reminds me which road I have to turn onto or where I have to turn. I suppose a printed paper would do the same, but the GPS tells me so I can concentrate on the road and hazards around me. The GPS also provides other info, miles remaining, time remaining, speed limits and changes in speed limits, if I go too fast, etc. I can also program the GPS to route me around toll roads, dirt roads, etc.

My GPS allows me to switch from RV to car when I place it in the car. This is a very nice feature because the car routing may be completely different from the RV routing.

I guess my opinion is using several resources is much better for me than relying on a single resource.

I am interested in purchasing a RV Navigation system for our class A Thor Motor Coach. I have read about these 7" screens:Garmin's RV 760LMT, Magellan's RV9365T-LMB and Good Sam RVND7725. Does anyone know the pros and cons of either?

2nuRvers

With my previous coach, I purchased a Garmin 760 with the intent to use their wireless cam system. The 760 was great. Bluetooth, voice command, quick. Problem that I had was the backup camera. The first camera wouldn't link up, so I returned it for a replacement. Same problem with the second camera. I concluded that the issue may well be the 760 itself, so I returned everything. Haven't replaced the GPS yet for the new coach.

I'm not debating whether to go with the Garmin again or to opt to go to the Magellan. Bluetooth is important to me so that I can have hands free phone use while driving (if needed). I believe both units have it. The Garmin does have voice command which is very nice. Don't think the Magellan has that. 7 inch screen is very nice. I'm leaning toward the Garmin, but there's a significant price differential between the two units (Garmin being higher priced, of course).

Let me know which way you go and your thoughts.