snomtn

Tire Sizes And Brand Question

Currently have 235 80 22.5 tires on our rig. Have been advised that they can be replaced with 245 75 22.5 .

We are looking at Sumitomo and Yokohama as replacement tires. Leaning towards the Yokohama.

Price of the Mich tires compared to these is a consideration.

I understand that they are designed for truck use, but adds indicate RV usage. I can live with a more firm ride.

Would appreciate experiences and thoughts.

Thanks

I have never been able to tell any ride difference in the RV Tires and the truck and i know the truck tires have more sidwall ply's than the RV tires. I have went from RV tires to Truck tires on two diesel coaches.

Your tires, your choice, but I like to keep OEM size tires on my coach. Changing the size of your tires normally results in slightly different speedometer readings and transmission shift change points.

I went from 235 80 X 22.5 Michelin to 245 75 X 22.5 Sumitomo on my previous Sportscoach, and could not tell any difference. The supplier put them side by side to show they were the same height, and pulled a tape around the circumference, after inflation, the Sumitomo was within a quarter inch difference from the not very worn Michelin tires that I replaced due to age.

I have never been able to tell any ride difference in the RV Tires and the truck and i know the truck tires have more sidwall ply's than the RV tires. I have went from RV tires to Truck tires on two diesel coaches.

"truck tires have more sidewall ply's than the RV tires" I think you might want to read the material list on your tire sidewall. Most 22.5 tires have one body ply of steel in the sidewall and three of four layers of steel belts under the tread.

I note that the Yokahama 245/75R22.5 is considered as replacement (equivalent) for Michelin XZA ,Goodyear G169, Bridgestone R250. All of which I believe have one body ply. (could not quickly find this info for all these tires) as that is normal HD tire construction.