Sign in to follow this  
Woodman

Tucson to Flagstaff Arizona

My wife and I left Michigan back in mid December proceeded onto Charleston S.C, then onto Florida, across through Texas and ended up in Tucson Arizona for the month of March in our 37' Damon Challenger gas coach. So far, so good and we haven't even killed each other (yet). We're heading back home on April 3rd and would like to go up to the Sedona area for a few days.

My question here is, do I take I-17 up to Flagstaff to catch I-40 East or go back down and catch I-10 East. People here are telling me that there are a lot of long nasty grades both going up to Flagstaff after Sedona and leaving Flagstaff which has an elevation of 6700'. We're also towing a small SUV. I've already have experienced brake fade once going through the Texas Mountain Trail and don't need to have that again.

Your thoughts or suggestions please.

Thanks

Dave Woods F429986

IMHO, you are only 30 miles from Flagstaff when you get to Sedona and turning around would add over 300 miles to your trip. You won't have any issue with brake fade going up to Flagstaff and you can go as slow and you like in lower gears to prevent issues going down the other side. However, the down side from Flagstaff on 40E is really not bad at all and should not give you any reason for concern.

Just made this ride - Tucson, then Sedona, then Flagstaff unto Albq - very heavy wind blowing on I-17 and I-40 - headwind first, then tailwind.

Have similar coach, only disc brakes, down shift a lot on grades - also towing a 2009 Saturn Vue - I go between 55-58 MPH - sweet spot for me --

Sedona should not be missed but driving your coach there may not be wise ! Tight roads !! Flagstaff is 7,000 ' but the 8.1 Vortec engine ran flawlessly - Let me know if you need further details !!

We have made the trip from Tucson to Flagstaff many times. You do have a few grades to negotiate but nothing your coach would not handle. Going to Sedona is a must but I agree not with the RV, use your toad. Also William, AZ is 30 miles west of Flag and the entrance to the Grand Canyon is not far from Williams. The Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park is nice to stay and you can walk to grocery stores etc.