vickstr

Will Battery Run Down Towing 2014 Ford 4X4 F150 In Tow Mode

Will the battery in the new Ford F150 4X4 go dead while in the new towing mode. The towing mode feature is new for 2014, I guess. To put into towing mode you must turn on the ignition and put on brake, put trans in natural and then turn the 4X4 switch back and forth between 4x2 to 4x4L 5 times in six seconds and the dash goes blank and it says "in towing mode" It doesn't say anything about the condition about the battery when you arrive at your destination.

I called Ford and got a busy signal most of the day. I called the dealer and all service said was that if the battery goes below a certain voltage it will go into "battery safe mode" so it will start when called for ?

There must be somebody out there with the same question.

Thanks.

Don Fleming Eagle, Id.

Welcome to the forum and good question. That sounds like a very nice feature on a 4x4 pickup. If transfer case goes to neutral I don't know why the transmission shouldn't be in park. That would prevent the transmission from spinning and getting overheated and damaged. If I was you I would be sure to contact Ford about that also.

Puff,

I am not familiar with the Ford but on my Last two Chevrolets I had to, Set the Park Brake, turn the key to the on position, place the transmission into neutral, put my foot on the brake and hold the 2WD and the 4WD buttons down at the same time until the red neutral light come on. Then place the Transmission back in park, release the brake turn off and remove the key(no wheel lock pin). I do however have the DW check the lights and that the wheels roll free before we depart.

Sound like Ford is a little more RV friendly now.

Don,

Do you know if your Ford has a locking pin for the steering wheel? If so you will need the key in a position that will release the locking pin. With just the key on for the wheel you should not run your battery down, how ever if you have a braking system that requires connection the a power outlet, then yes you may run your battery down.

Herman

Vickstr, you did not complete the last step and that is turn the key to the off position, leaving the transmission in neutral. I have flat towed my 2013 F-150 over 2K miles with no problems. I have even left the truck in the towing configuration over night in a campground. If you watch the dash the "in towing mode" goes off. By far the easiest 4 down towing I have ever done. David

Thanks guys, I reread the manual and it did say to turn the key to the off position after it goes into tow mode. Thanks for all the help. Don from Eagle, Id.

Will the battery in the new Ford F150 4X4 go dead while in the new towing mode. The towing mode feature is new for 2014, I guess. To put into towing mode you must turn on the ignition and put on brake, put trans in natural and then turn the 4X4 switch back and forth between 4x2 to 4x4L 5 times in six seconds and the dash goes blank and it says "in towing mode" It doesn't say anything about the condition about the battery when you arrive at your destination.

I called Ford and got a busy signal most of the day. I called the dealer and all service said was that if the battery goes below a certain voltage it will go into "battery safe mode" so it will start when called for ?

Thanks.

Don Fleming Eagle, Id.

Thanks.

Don Fleming Eagle, Id.

If you use a brake buddy it will need starting every couple of hours. I bought a solar charger that plugs into the lighter and cured my problen.

Don

Thanks.

Don if you use a toad brake that presses the brake pedel you will need a charge line from the coach chassis battery to the toad battery, how to install one has been posted many times .

The ign switch is not turned off all the way as long as the trans is in N, there is a section in my owners manual that warns aginst letting the battery run down acording to Ford the trans could shift causing damage, ii did run a charge line to my truck but i also use a Roadmaster Brakemaster that activates the truck brake lights.

Don Fleming Eagle, Id.

If you have to leave the key in Accessory position it may run your battery down especially if you leave climate control on. Turn off all auto functions such as climate control and lights and should be Ok with strong battery and when you stop enroute let it run for 20 minutes to charge ( best Ford advice had to offer). I have 2014 Edge and have had these problems. Your information is incorrect about the battery saving system. It assumes that if the key is in the ignition that you are in the car and it will shut down leaving you with a dead battery. If you can turn ignition to off and remove key in your 4Xa System you should be OK. Frank Taber- Happy OK Wanderers

I have been towing my 2012 F150 4x4 over 10,000 miles - 2012 is when Ford introduced the "tow" mode on the F150. I DID have a battery go dead when I left everything hooked up and in "tow" mode overnight. For that reason I installed a charge line from the coach to the F150. Fused it on both ends and no issues since. I do have a RVI brake installed and I think that is what drained the battery. Highly recommend you have auxiliary braking of some type - especially in case of a break away, At least the pickup will come to a stop after it comes unhooked!

Lenp