Sign in to follow this  
klcracing

Route 550 from Albuquerque to Silverton

Question

Was wondering if 550 is the best route to take coming from Oklahoma. Worried about number of passes, not the climb that worries us, it's the unclimbing! Is there a pass between Albq. and Durango? Is there only one pass between Durango and Silverton. We will be in a 325hp 40ft DP with a 28ft trailer. We were at Silverton area last year via Cinnamon Pass boondocking by San Cristabal lake (80m round trip by atv) and were trying to get closer so as to spend more time in area, and not traveling over same path over and over. Any help on this issue is very much appreciated.

8 answers to this question

I have driven this entire route in my 40 ft DP towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee with no problems.

The portion of 550 from Durango to Silverton (and on to Ouray) is what causes a number of folks to grow feathers and cluck...

I always hesitate to give advice on whether a mountain road (and this sure is one) can safely be done.

Three factors:

Rig

Rig's maintenance (brakes and suspension in good condition)

And, the most important: DRIVER. This road requires a LOT of driver input and judgment. No problem for those with good mountain driving experience. Can be quite dangerous for those who "Put it in D and go".

Went to Colorado last year, via Monarch pass and Wolf Creek pass. While downshifting to 2nd, with engine brake on, it still shifted to third. BTW, we have an 07 Expedition 38S with six speed tranny, and was wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to keep it low and slow without the mh shifting up gears while in manual mode? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

I always hesitate to give advice on whether a mountain road (and this sure is one) can safely be done.

Three factors:

Rig

Rig's maintenance (brakes and suspension in good condition)

And, the most important: DRIVER. This road requires a LOT of driver input and judgment. No problem for those with good mountain driving experience. Can be quite dangerous for those who "Put it in D and go".

The road from Albuquerque to Aztec is about as gentle as a mountain road can be. Anyone competent to drive a MH should not have a problem, assuming it is a well maintained rig. Aztec to Durango presents more problems because it is mostly 2 lane. Once you go north from Durango is where the real mountain driving comes in.

Went to Colorado last year, via Monarch pass and Wolf Creek pass. While downshifting to 2nd, with engine brake on, it still shifted to third. BTW, we have an 07 Expedition 38S with six speed tranny, and was wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to keep it low and slow without the mh shifting up gears while in manual mode? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

The Allison did exactly what it should if RPM in that gear was rising to where it would do engine damage, it WILL upshift.

The solution is to use the brakes (service brakes) firmly and long enough to grab a lower gear where braking HP will keep your speed in check. I call it EQUILIBRIUM SPEED-- where you are neither speeding up nor slowing down. This speed will be faster than a loaded 18 wheeler and slower than an empty one-- just plain physics.