Sign in to follow this  
cebuffett

Source for Solid Surface Material (Corian, Wilsonart, LG, etc.)

I am currently doing a project to remove all carpet (except for bedroom and slideout). On the floor I am replacing with tile to match the tile in the kitchen and bathroom.

I want to replace the carpet that was on the firewall and down the sides of the stepwell with Corian type material that closely matches what is on the dining table, kitchen countertop, etc.

My problem is that almost every place I have tried to get it from won't sell a sheet of the material, only a complete kitchen countertop. The ideal solution would be a surplus full or partial sheet.

Anyone know where I might get some?

When we were in Tucson there was a tile and solid surface store. We walked in and they took us through the available samples and when we told them we just need a 4x4 sheet we went into the shop and picked out what we wanted. I hope you can find a tile store in your area that will allow you to do the same.

Most Lowes and Home Depot will make you a counter or sheet whatever size you need. If it is one of their standard colors it should not be too expensive. If it is a color they have to order, you will be payng for a full size sheet regardless of size you need. Many kitchen cabinetry shops will do the same and may sell you a surplus sheet if you are lucky enough to find a piece in correct color. Keep in mind that corian is only 1/2 thick and edge needs to be built up to be full thickness of a typical counter . I had a small custom cabinet made for bathroom to fit behind water closet with matching corian top and only need 18" x 24" Shop had it in scrap pile and cost next to nothing. .

I'm going to use the material for the sides of the stepwell and inside face of the firewall. I I need several pieces or one large (30" x 84") piece to cut up. Most places that I tried (including Lowes and Home Depot) will only sell completed kitchen countertops, not the material. One local counterttop place would order me a new sheet (30" x 144"), but it was very, very expensive. My best possibilities I found on Ebay and Craigs List. The hard part has been finding big enough pieces in a similar color. I found a source of some surplus sheets on CL, so it looks like I will be able to buy a full sheet if we can work out cutting it and shipping it. Assuming it all works out, I will end up with what I want plus quite a bit of extra material.

Be sure to try places like Color Tile or a business supply tile store. I wish I could remember exactly what the store we found was but they had a full shop to cut and built any countertop but large scrap pieces I was able to look through and pick out what I needed.