berginaperzina

Oil changes, how often?

Hi.

We just returned from a four-week trip to Oregon and our motorhome now has a little over 5,000 miles on it. Is it time to change the oil? Is it too soon?

We would appreciate you input.

Jose and Karen

Hi,

We just returned from a 4 week trip to Oregon and the RV now has a little over 5000 miles on it, is it time to change the oil? is it too soon?

would appreciate you input...

Jose and Karen

If I were going to park it for awhile, I would change it BEFORE storing. If not, keep driving until the one year mark/mileage specified for your engine.

Brett Wolfe

If you have purchased an extended service contract, check the terms of the contract. We had one on our rig that required the first oil change well before the manufacturer specified. If you don't have the oil changed per the extended service contract, you'll void your contract as far as engine problems are concerned.

Willa and I own a 33 foot Pace Arrow built in 2000. It has the V10 Ford engine in it and the engine has 97.000 plus miles on it. I bought the coach in 2000 when it had about 6 thousand miles on the clock. Since then I have changed the oil at each 5000 mile interval. I use 10w 30 Pennzoil and a new filter every time I change the oil or I have it changed. I always carry at least one change of oil (8 quarts with filter) in the basement of the coach when we take a trip. There are occasions I change the oil myself. I have a five gallon ''grease can'' that I liberated from behind a restaurant. It has a good screw on cap and it is just perfect to fit under the coach when I jack it up on the leveling jacks. I take an ice pick and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain out into the grease can before I take it off. I put the old oil filter in a plastic baggie and double bag it before I put the whole mess back into the basement. I always recycle the oil at an Advance or Auto Zone store and leave the filter with them when I buy my next change of oil. The old ''Pace'' has gotten to where it will use about a pint of oil between changes now. I hope to keep it running for about another hundred thousand miles. I spoke to a guy out in California who had a coach exactly like mine with a v 10 Ford engine in it. He said he had 220,000 miles on it and it still ran good. He changed his oil every five thousand miles also. And take Wolf's advise in that if you park your coach for several months ... ''change the oil before you park it'' There are many other tips to do before you park you coach for an extended time but I will not go into them here.. Oil is the life of an engine. I also suggest that when you hit 60,000 miles on the clock that you have ALL THE FLUIDS CHANGED IN YOUR COACH. Transmission, Rear end, Break fluid, Radiator fluid, Power steering fluid EVERYTHING...

At 60 thousand miles have all the hoses and belts changed out. Keep the old ones for spares. They are a lot better than nothing. I have seen folks on the Alcan with a busted radiator hose and they are a thousand miles from nothing...... (this advise is for a gas engine only.... diesels are different)

GOD BLESS OUR GREAT NATION

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SAFE

Seajay the sailor man ...