Sign in to follow this  
newellan

5.5 Onan Marquis Gold Gas Generator

Hi all,

I have a Holiday Rambler 2009 Admiral gas unit with a 5.5 Onan Marguis Gold generator on board.

Until recently was working fine until trip home three weeks ago. After running for about an hour and half it shut off after about 15 or 20 minutes I could start it again. Again it would run for a 30-60 minutes and shut down again after a sort rest it will always restart and run for awhile.

Curious if anyone have had this problem and what did they discover. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I run to the shop with it.

How many hours on the meter?

Has fuel filter been changed?

Adequate fuel in coach tank?

I have same gen in my coach and it runs flawlessly with almost 500 hours on meter --

Newellan,

Welcome to the FMCA forum!

Temperature mentioned by DD and were you running the Roof AC units? The generators do have a thermal protection system.

Sometimes you need to reduce the load when it gets hot outside.

Turn off one AC and running the refrigerator on LP can reduce the load enough to keep them running.

Rich.

Thanks for the reply to all of you. I only have 344 hours on gen and I had full tank of gas, oil level was fine, I was only running front AC when it happen first time. I've change oil, oil and air filter but not fuel and it ran for 4 hours and shut down. It makes no sense to me that it starts right away and run that long with a bad fuel filter. It shut down first time it was very hot outside but since then it has done it when temperature wasn't bad at all. I have noticed that the electronic fuel pump is very hot to the touch when it shuts down.

You may have a leak in the hose from tank to generator. It is on the suction side, so it would likely leak air IN, not fuel out. The pump would run fast, as air is easy to move. It may be able to get enough fuel to keep it running, it may not.

Diagnosis is easy-- Use a gas can and hose connected directly to the fuel filter. If it runs fine with this alternate source, your motorhome fuel system is suspect.

Again, there can be many causes of your issues, this is just one of them.

Yours is newer than any I have worked on. You might inquire if it has a self-diagnosis mode. If so, check for codes.