Sign in to follow this  
nelsokelso

Tag Axle Tires

The tag axle is on its own non drive axle. Would it be acceptable to purchase an alternate brand tire of the same size and almost exactly the same rolling diameter and width? This is based on cost alone and availability???

In a word-- yes.

All tires on an axle must be the same (brand and approximate the same amount of wear-- particularly the duals on the drive axle).

But, you can use a different brand on different axles.

Depending on the age and dependability of my steer tires, I always opt for the better quality tires and put the new ones on steer axle, and move the older steers to the tag axle. I average never having more than 3 years on the steer tires, and 6 years on the tags. No rule that I do that but I opt for this configuration because I want the best on the steers, for safety sake. I have never seen a coach in the ditch because of a tag tire blown, but have seen, and read many horror stories because of a steer tire blow out.

nelsokelso,

Yes it is acceptable for the tires on a tag axle to be different makes. An older tire and a new tire on the tag will not be a problem because they roll independent of one another.

This is not true of the drive axle and the tires should not be mixed, by age. Age and mileage wear on drive axle should be the same.

As stated before "always have your best tires on the steering tires."

As for the cost of tires I always remember what they say Neil Armstrong said just before blast off, "This thing was built by the lowest bidder." :)

Herman