Sign in to follow this  
dickandlois

Bio Diesel-B20 and Cummins Engines

I have been looking into the Bio Diesel fuel mixes B-10, B-15 and B-20.

More of the blended fuel is being pumped at Flying J, Pilot and other suppliers.

Still need to ask questions and read more on B-10 and B-15.

Did find this information on B-20 and Cummins engines built before 2002.

Cummins engines prior to 2002?

The main reason not to include engines built earlier than 2002 and the use of B-20 is due to materials compatibility concerns. Some fuel systems in pre-2002 engines contain components that are not compatible with a B20 biodiesel blend. EPA 2002 and later engines contain fuel system components that are compatible.

So how much, if any of the blended fuels can be used in Cummins engines built before 2002?

Rich.

Yes, Mine is pre-2002, so I need to check and find out what items concerning the fuel system are not compatible with the Bio Diesel.

Thinking fuel lines and injector pump. There might be other items, but the basic engine is the same as later units that are not affected when using B20.

Rich.

Another worry with Bio Diesel is that it has solvent characteristics. It loosens a lot of stuff in your fuel system that is best left alone resulting in fuel filters being changed earlier than normal. I retired from trucking in 2011 and I would not run anything with more than the mandated 5% in my home state of PA. My engine was a 500hp Series60 assembled in 2000.

Maybe Brett is aware of some way that the blenders are able to remedy that problem today. When we leave later this month for Colorado I hope that I will be able to stay away from the higher concentrations. My Cat has one filter that doesn't look all that large to me. Guess,I better stock up on replacements just in case.