Sign in to follow this  
wfstewa

Storage Compartment Lock

I have a 40 ft. 2008 Tiffin Phaeton and I am having problems with the storage compartment locks. Some are hard to get locked and one refuses to lock at all. I have that one wired shut so I can continue to travel.

I would appreciate any wisdom/advice anyone can provide to deal with this problem.

Bill Stewart

Brett,

I just don't have the time right now to spend an hour or two waiting on the phone for a Tiffin representative. Hoped there was someone else out there who had already solved the problem and could share with me.

Bill

There are many Tiffin owners (and likely other brand owners as well) that have had problems with the compartment door latches...

Not sure if you mean "latched" or actually "locked"

Difficulties with latching issues usually come from door getting "warped" or twisted, being slammed shut, etc... The "L" arm post holding door in can easily get out of adjustment ... usually one can try pushing door further in while closing, lifting it upward a bit , or downward a bit to determine if adjusting that latch will correct the problem... Fortunately, I;ve been able to adjust very slightly that arm to correct the two times I had an issue last year...

If it's that some doors don't "lock" , sure you are aware some doors do not have the remote lock capabilities...

Bill,

What I have found is to send an email to the tech dept. Since you are still on the move, the tech can send you a solution while you travel and you can hopefully resolve your problem when you are camped.

One things I have found in my compartment doors is rust. Most of the pins and joints are behind panels and do not get lubed. I have opened all of my compartment doors and lubed them and on our doors I have replaced all of the latches that had the plastic pins with ones with aluminum pins.

On your door that will not latch take a look and see if your pin is either broken or not moving at all, if it is not moving try the ole stand by WD40 and lots of it. Then a good lubricant.

Good luck and keep them closed.

Herman

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is more precisely "latching," WhiteEagle. The door will lock if you can get it to latch. I will try your suggestions.

Good luck ..

I've had a couple that simply took changing the angle of the "L" bolt itself.. and at least once had to push it hard enough to actually bend the direction of the bolt slightly... remember being surprised how little of a change it required... and why did it change itself to begin with...

Probably can determine where it's hitting the door or latch box...by looking just as you close it to make sure it's going into the box opening correctly...