Sign in to follow this  
joyceroy

Cruise Control On 2001 F53 Chassis

My cruise control was intermittingly working until recently on my F53 chassis (2001) when it quit working all together. In addition, the horn does not work. Question - are the two on the same circuit or controlled by the same module?

Sounds like the wiring in the steering column. I don't have manuals on F53 chassis but I wonder if it has a clock spring?

I lost my cruise control a few weeks back. It turned be the stop light switch. Ordered one from Rockauto and had it in 3 days later. My stop lights worked fine before.

Herman

Joyceroy,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

The F53 chassis used a slip ring set up for the Cruise Control and Horn circuit connections between the steering wheel and the stationary column wiring.

From your post I would suspect dirty contacts and dirt buildup on the ring surface from your post information.

The F53 chassis around your build year used a speed control servo amplifier, but think its a dirt issue as both the cruise and horn are not working!

Rich.

joyceroy, it does have what is called a clock spring under the steering wheel, thay are known to go bad, the hardest part is getting the steering wheel off. It looks like this (photo) usually are under $200.00